XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Other Help

Old Dec. 13th, '11, 3:58 pm   #1
canadianwhiskey
Relax, have a drink.

Aug 2008 3,411
Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to canadianwhiskey
Default VPNs

Hey guys. I just wanted to kind of see what population on the site might use VPN for their security online. I have used one for over a year now and love it. I don't have to worry about my IP getting logged for doing anything it shouldn't. I costs me about $90 a year for the access.

Anyone else use one?

Old Dec. 13th, '11, 4:29 pm   #2
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

I doubt it's the same as VPN but I downloaded the torproject software and absolutely hated it. I'd rather be logged than have to deal with the intense security it provided I didn't feel like editing every site I visit.

I've also used other methods to hide my identity but don't recall them specifically being a VPN (to be honest, I'm not really sure what that means other than a quick google of it).

Actually reading a bit more, I don't use anything like that.
Old Dec. 13th, '11, 4:41 pm   #3
canadianwhiskey
Relax, have a drink.

Aug 2008 3,411
Ontario, Canada

Essentially a VPN is a private network that you pass all of your traffic through. They give you an IP somewhere else like in Mexico and mask yours. Basically it looks like you are surfing or downloading from another location. The VPN I am with does not hold on to logs or anything. So if someone wanted information on an IP I was using or had used, it would not be available. Doesn't really affect my speeds on Newsgroups or anything either.

Old Dec. 13th, '11, 4:50 pm   #4
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

I guess that torproject (onion network) was basically the same thing.

wikipedia - "Nonetheless, Tor and the alternative network system JonDonym (Java Anon Proxy, JAP) are considered more resilient than alternatives such as VPNs"

https://www.torproject.org/index.html.en

https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

It is free though.
Old Dec. 13th, '11, 5:13 pm   #5
canadianwhiskey
Relax, have a drink.

Aug 2008 3,411
Ontario, Canada

Cool. I will check that out too. If it is better than what I am using and free, maybe I will switch over.

Old Aug. 19th, '18, 2:29 pm   #6
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,100
Raleigh, NC
Send a message via MSN to nosice Send a message via AIM to nosice

Hey Im in need of a VPN service, Whiskey or anybody else has information.. If you need context I'll PM you.. but it has to do with my wife's craft business..

Just new and dont know what's important..

Old Sep. 4th, '18, 7:42 pm   #7
baultista

Aug 2018 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosice View Post
Hey Im in need of a VPN service, Whiskey or anybody else has information.. If you need context I'll PM you.. but it has to do with my wife's craft business..

Depends, really:

1. Do you need all Internet traffic for all devices going to VPN, or just one device (IE home PC, one phone, etc)

2. Do you need all Internet traffic from that device going to VPN (IE web browser, games, chat apps, etc) or just the web browser?

3. Do you need randomized IP addresses on an interval? Control over which country your outbound IP address is from?

If all you want is a super-basic "don't let the website know it's me" style VPN, you could use a free solution. ZenMate VPN is available for free as a browser extension. I use the built-in VPN in the Opera web browser.

Old Sep. 5th, '18, 11:30 am   #8
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,760
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50

Quote:
Originally Posted by baultista View Post
Depends, really:

1. Do you need all Internet traffic for all devices going to VPN, or just one device (IE home PC, one phone, etc)

2. Do you need all Internet traffic from that device going to VPN (IE web browser, games, chat apps, etc) or just the web browser?

3. Do you need randomized IP addresses on an interval? Control over which country your outbound IP address is from?

If all you want is a super-basic "don't let the website know it's me" style VPN, you could use a free solution. ZenMate VPN is available for free as a browser extension. I use the built-in VPN in the Opera web browser.
I like this guy already!

#proudnewfie
Old Sep. 5th, '18, 11:43 am   #9
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,201
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott50 View Post
I like this guy already!
Agreed. With my convos with him he seems like a very solid guy. Plus, he's from Toronto and most likely a Leafs fan too, so he's already in my good books

Old Sep. 5th, '18, 12:55 pm   #10
canadianwhiskey
Relax, have a drink.

Aug 2008 3,411
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosice View Post

I can help you out Nosice. I use one myself. Shoot me a msg on FB or here. EIther or.