Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Shooters

Old May. 31st, '13, 11:49 pm   #1
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,778
St. Louis, Mo
Default Destiny [Video Game]

I'm going to take the lazy way out and link to Wikipedia for an explanation of this game. I'm guessing if you're a Halo fan you already know about this game. Developed by Bungie, published by Activision. And even if you're not a fan, you've probably heard it.

I'm not a Halo fan but have read a bit about this game and am VERY intrigued. Here's the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(video_game)

Quote:
Destiny will be published by Activision on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4[6], Xbox 360, and Xbox One[7] video game consoles, with Bungie expecting that the project will have a ten-year life cycle from its launch.
Maybe this isn't the right category either because:

Quote:
The game will be an action role-playing first-person shooter in a "mythic science fiction" open world setting.
It will include MMO type elements as well.

Quote:
but Bungie has avoided defining Destiny as being in-kind with traditional MMO games.[10] Instead, the game has been referred to as a "shared-world shooter,"[11] as it lacks many of the characteristics of a traditional MMO game. For instance, rather than players being able to see and interact with all other players in the game or on a particular server—as is the case in many conventional MMO games—Destiny will include on-the-fly matchmaking that will allow players to see and interact only with other players with whom they are "matched" by the game.
Hopefully that still means you can join up with friends though.

For those who are really interested, here is the official site:

http://www.destinythegame.com/

Anyway, what got me to post was I just saw a commercial for it. It has Giancarlo Esposito who plays Tom Neville on the TV show Revolution. I was watching the commercial and thought, "This game looks cool, wonder what it is?" *EDIT* It was directed by Jon Favreau and evidently Giancarlo Esposito is in Breaking Bad so many of you will know him from that.

Last edited by jujimum; Jun. 1st, '13 at 12:04 am.
Old Jun. 1st, '13, 12:00 am   #2
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,778
St. Louis, Mo

Here's an older, but cool video as well. One guy says it's something "you'll want to play with your friends" so that answers my question above. I figured that was how it'd be...but you never know

Old Jun. 1st, '13, 12:11 pm   #3
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,563
Canada

looks pretty cool, too bad it still doesn't have a release date besides TBA 2014.
Old Jun. 1st, '13, 12:27 pm   #4
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,778
St. Louis, Mo

Well, that might be deceiving. I saw the trailer/commercial while watching TV last night. Even if they wanted to hype it (which it has plenty already), I'm thinking this is way too early for commercials if it comes out 8+ months from now. On the other hand though, the video does advertise a gameplay showing at E3 on June 10th.
Old Jun. 13th, '14, 11:58 pm   #5
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Thanks for pointing me to this thread Jim lol

I'll be honest, I'm lost.

I know it's an alpha build but I was half expecting an opening movie to break down the story line, or a brief tutorial.... Nope. Right to the action.

3 player types to choose from that you can edit facial features and stuff and boom you are on the surface of Earth and have no idea what any buttons do... Just go.

Oh look bad guys... Maybe they won't see me if I crouch behind this rock.... PEW PEW... Oops that's the shoot button they are alerted I'm near and it's a firefight.

Make my way inside the array and wonder around and stumble across more bad guys.

Oh look a locked door. My character says no problem just use the ghost to unlock it... The fuck?!? Ghost? Press and hold square and this floaty robot thingy zaps this keypad lock and the door slides up revealing what appears to be steaming piles of shit (no kidding they are steaming)

Cool thing is that it's dark so a flashlight automatically comes on when you get close to no visibility, even cooler is the light bar on the DS4 controller goes from light blue to bright white like a flashlight ( lightbar also turns bright freaking red when you are near death)

Anyway these hoppy angry rat bastards swarm you and you die. I restarted from last checkpoint and decided to go to orbit to see what's up.

It's like a galactic mall, post office to check your mail where an in game developer sends you a message saying how awesome it is of me to join the Alpha and have fun.

Shops to tweak your gear and it reminded me so much of Sony playstation "home" lots of real players walking around (probably wondering wtf to do) and pointing... Sitting and I shit you not, dancing. Why the hell is dancing an actual assigned button? I'm seriously lost.

What am I supposed to do in this game? Level up my gear and be an intergalactic magic wielding assassin dancing dude that enjoys sitting?

The game looks gorgeous, the environment is unreal and all I wanted to do was walk around and do some sight seeing and take some screen shots but I kept running into bad aliens that want to kill me.

I'll look for a synopsis later, just wanted to play and from what I've seen so far it looks amazing. I just don't follow the story yet.

Old Jul. 22nd, '14, 6:32 pm   #6
Jcon77
Dee Plane, Dee Plane!

Jun 2008 4,268
Tampa, FL
Send a message via MSN to Jcon77 Send a message via AIM to Jcon77

Beta is out now for preorders on Xbox consoles. I have two spare beta codes for Xbox One from my preorder. Next two posts from established XBS members I'll PM the codes for beta access. Please only ask if you plan on playing. Beta goes now through the weekend.

Old Jul. 22nd, '14, 7:31 pm   #7
thebigschnoz
#47 | Offensive D-man

Jun 2010 1,494
Buffalo, NY
Send a message via MSN to thebigschnoz Send a message via Skype™ to thebigschnoz

I'll take one if you don't mind, Jcon.

Old Jul. 22nd, '14, 7:44 pm   #8
caseobeerz
Sep 2011 251

I'll would love to take a code for the game please

Old Jul. 22nd, '14, 7:54 pm   #9
Jcon77
Dee Plane, Dee Plane!

Jun 2008 4,268
Tampa, FL
Send a message via MSN to Jcon77 Send a message via AIM to Jcon77

Codes are sent.