Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

I hope to get back into game soon, I should have a week left with MOH,

Old Aug. 12th, '11, 11:08 am   #102
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,675
Boston

Last night I played for a while and I got dropped into a team that was just absolutely horrible. It almost felt rigged we were losing so quickly. It was like these clowns were just running at the enemy in the middle of the street looking to get gunned down. So I made the best of it and went into stealth sniper/recon mode. I'd pick my favorite spot on the map and just wait for the enemies to surround my teammates to ambush them. I would then in turn ambush our enemies, and it ultimately made for some pretty good personal scores. I leveled up my recon, and I'm going to continue leveling him because I get an upgraded sniper rifle on my next level. I should be able to get that tonight, and I am very much looking forward to an upgraded sniper rifle! Is it morally wrong to use my idiot team mates as bait to flush out the bad guys so I can get a clean shot at them?

Old Aug. 12th, '11, 11:10 am   #103
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,675
Boston

I mean, one guy/kid on my team must kept yelling into his microphone. Cursing up a storm and getting all mad that he kept getting killed. I recommended he not run in an open field or down the middle of the main strip and he told me to STFU. I got a couple of good snipes off this twatwaffle.

Old Aug. 12th, '11, 8:25 pm   #104
TommyNuGuns

Jul 2008 924
Lebanon,Ohio
Send a message via AIM to TommyNuGuns Send a message via Yahoo to TommyNuGuns

mmmm twatwaffles
Old Aug. 17th, '11, 11:35 am   #105
kdfsjljklgjfg
Jul 2008 1,957
Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to kdfsjljklgjfg Send a message via Skype™ to kdfsjljklgjfg

Don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but here's a picture comparing the "Caspian Border" map to Harvest Day from BC1 and 2. Oh my god this map is huge.

http://i.imgur.com/H2raI.jpg

Mr. Utility
Old Aug. 17th, '11, 12:42 pm   #106
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,675
Boston

A sniper's paradise!

Old Aug. 17th, '11, 1:42 pm   #107
ExArmySgt
Licensed Pill Pusher
Jun 2008 2,662
Vidor, Texas
Send a message via MSN to ExArmySgt Send a message via AIM to ExArmySgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
A sniper's paradise!
I wish no one to be offended by this comment but, for the record, I HATE snipers. Little more ticks me off than getting picked off by a sniper. It's great if you have one on your team to call in the mortar strikes and whatnot but I have often contemplated the idea of a shooter without them and how much better it would be, albeit at the expense of realism. At the very least, I'd like to see a cap put on snipers in a game during any given round. A squad should be comprised largely of grunts with some engineers, medics, and no more than one or two snipers.
Old Aug. 17th, '11, 3:33 pm   #108
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,675
Boston

No offense taken, and I can definitely understand your point of view. It has to be frustrating to get picked off from long distance by somebody you never saw.

I'd argue that the counter or balancing factor is that you cannot capture and hold any positions if you have a team mostly made up of snipers. I've been on teams like that, and lost just about every game and rightfully so. It takes grunts, engineers, and medics to capture bases, destroy com stations, and win battles. The sniper is a specialty role, a support role. When I play a sniper, which is admittedly almost full time since I'm hell bent on leveling him up all the way before I switch to something else, I move with the flow of the battle. Always at a distance, but always toward whatever objective we have to attack or defend. My goal is to pick off opposing snipers so that my guys don't get sniped while trying gain ground.

I call in mortar strikers on heavy artillery posts and tanks that have positioned themselves to defend a base, or I call in mortar strikes on bases we have to attack to flush out the defenders.

In summary, I agree with most of what you say, but I do think a well balanced offense and defense can benefit tremendously from a sniper who knows his role and does everything he can to support the team. The lone wolf rogue snipers who are out there just to do their own thing and boost their own stats, well, they are a different story.

Old Aug. 17th, '11, 4:21 pm   #109
ExArmySgt
Licensed Pill Pusher
Jun 2008 2,662
Vidor, Texas
Send a message via MSN to ExArmySgt Send a message via AIM to ExArmySgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
No offense taken, and I can definitely understand your point of view. It has to be frustrating to get picked off from long distance by somebody you never saw.

I'd argue that the counter or balancing factor is that you cannot capture and hold any positions if you have a team mostly made up of snipers. I've been on teams like that, and lost just about every game and rightfully so. It takes grunts, engineers, and medics to capture bases, destroy com stations, and win battles. The sniper is a specialty role, a support role. When I play a sniper, which is admittedly almost full time since I'm hell bent on leveling him up all the way before I switch to something else, I move with the flow of the battle. Always at a distance, but always toward whatever objective we have to attack or defend. My goal is to pick off opposing snipers so that my guys don't get sniped while trying gain ground.

I call in mortar strikers on heavy artillery posts and tanks that have positioned themselves to defend a base, or I call in mortar strikes on bases we have to attack to flush out the defenders.

In summary, I agree with most of what you say, but I do think a well balanced offense and defense can benefit tremendously from a sniper who knows his role and does everything he can to support the team. The lone wolf rogue snipers who are out there just to do their own thing and boost their own stats, well, they are a different story.
I absolutely agree that a team can benefit greatly from a sniper who executes his role as you seem to do. I would concede that part of my frustration with snipers is that I'm not able to do it meaning I can't sit still like is required to be successful. For whatever reason, I suck at it too despite many attempts to stay concealed and employ the same methods that apparently work quite well for you and Jim. They always find me and I can't seem to adjust appropriately on those long distance shots to hit a target. Truth be told, if I had great success as a sniper, I'd probably love it and play nothing else. As it is, I'll live vicariously as a medic and revive you bastards that think it's prudent to get in the way of a speeding bullet. When BF3 hits, I hope to have you watching my back.
Old Aug. 17th, '11, 4:47 pm   #110
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,675
Boston

You can count on that my friend!