Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Baseball

Old Aug. 24th, '12, 8:23 pm   #1
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME
Default Red Sox - Dodgers Trade

According to Fox Sports this is going down.

The Red Sox will send Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto to the Dodgers. The Dodgers will exchange first baseman James Loney, pitcher Rubby De La Rosa and infielder Ivan De Jesus, outfielder Jerry Sands and top pitching prospect Allen Webster

Thoughts? As a sox fan, I'm glad to see them blowing up the team, wish Valentine was a part of the trade. Dodgers might be my new World Series pick.
Old Aug. 24th, '12, 9:03 pm   #2
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Why does the MLB even have a trade deadline if deals like this happen well after "deadline" has passed?

I'll never understand.

Old Aug. 24th, '12, 9:08 pm   #3
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,627
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

well i think Valentine has everything to do with this trade. He wants to clean house. Next up is to see where Pedroia will end up!! Good deal for Boston to start to rebuild but it maybe the cellar for a few years but its the way to go!! However I have a feeling that the dodgers will regret making this deal. They are also getting some cash to help out with the 253 million $ in salary that they are taking on.

Old Aug. 25th, '12, 7:20 am   #4
Walbeb
Jun 2012 802
Wallingford, CT.

I believe it was a 'waiver' trade, or something like that. I could be wrong though just something I read yesterday on it.
Old Aug. 25th, '12, 7:31 am   #5
Tony Amonte
Mark Rechhi Fan Club

Jul 2008 7,269
Not in Kamloops
Send a message via MSN to Tony Amonte

The way these deals work is once a team claims the player, the two sides have a certain window to complete a trade, then if I remember correctly, anyone below the team receiving the players claimed has the opportunity to block the trade/put in a claim on them. I think...lol.

But at any rate, I like what they are doing now. Beckett is a "fawkin Disastah", Crawford is a bust (although I like him as a ball player, just such a bad contract and hit the injury bug) ....Gonzalez I admit I don't quite understand. They spent 5 years trying to aquire him from San Diego. They finally do and now they are gonna walk away from him. His attitude may have a lot to do with it as he just doesn't seem to have that "dirt dog" type mentality, makes a lot of excuses, and generally just doesn't seem to get it. All that being said, he is still a monster. He's no charachter issue like Manny Ramirez was by any means, just maybe not meant for the market in Boston.

Maybe the Henry group needs more money for their soccer team?
Old Aug. 25th, '12, 7:52 am   #6
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME

Hey, don't hate on Liverpool lol.

The waiver trades are kind of pointless, especially because they happen after the deadline, but I guess that's baseball. But yeah it's a good move for the Sox to clear cap space. Crawford didn't work, Gonzo wasn't the perfect match but I think it would have worked in the long run, and Beckett wore out his welcome. Sucks to see the Sox entire the rebuilding phase, but it happens to everyone.
Old Aug. 25th, '12, 7:57 am   #7
Tony Amonte
Mark Rechhi Fan Club

Jul 2008 7,269
Not in Kamloops
Send a message via MSN to Tony Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougie View Post
Hey, don't hate on Liverpool lol.

The waiver trades are kind of pointless, especially because they happen after the deadline, but I guess that's baseball. But yeah it's a good move for the Sox to clear cap space. Crawford didn't work, Gonzo wasn't the perfect match but I think it would have worked in the long run, and Beckett wore out his welcome. Sucks to see the Sox entire the rebuilding phase, but it happens to everyone.
It doesn't happen to the Yankees LOL.

They still have a good core to build around. Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester. Boom. Now they need to spend wisely this time. If you are going to hand out huge contracts, make sure it's players that are mentally there to play in Boston, and studs on the field as well. Not even sure who is available this offseason aside from Hamilton, but he's got all sorts of risks attached to him as well. I'd also like to see them re-sign Saltalamacchia. He's about the only player this season not named Pedroia that shows any sort of will to win out there.
Old Aug. 25th, '12, 2:15 pm   #8
DrugMonkeyRX
Pack it up

Jul 2008 7,126
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to DrugMonkeyRX Send a message via AIM to DrugMonkeyRX

I think this was a great move by Boston. They unloaded alot of overpaid/worn out players.

Old Aug. 25th, '12, 2:40 pm   #9
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Amonte View Post
It doesn't happen to the Yankees LOL.
Nobody cares about them though

Anyway, the Sox got some good prospects in return as well. Great move for a team who has decided to rebuild.

Good riddance