Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Hockey > OTP Hockey

Old Jul. 28th, '17, 8:45 am   #1
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,190
Toronto
Ea Sports NHL 18 Beta Impressions

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding the beta. The good, bad and the ugly.....

My son was watching me play the other night and said, "it looks exactly the same" I laughed and responded with, "well, it's really just NHL 17.5"

A few nice new touches and I'm happy goalie feels better than before, but really not much has changed.

Playing a few games on defense, it feels like they dumbed down poke checking so it's not as effective as 17, which is good because in 17 it was too OP.

I think my 2 main gripes right now is the slowness of using the RS for goalie saves sliding across and as a skater, the puck between your legs moves is way overused already and it's only the beta

Old Jul. 28th, '17, 9:09 am   #2
Danzerino
The Future of the Habs

Jun 2008 2,557
Montreal, Quebec
Send a message via MSN to Danzerino Send a message via AIM to Danzerino

Same thing every year feels the same as 17 no difference at alll. Except from the useless new dekes everything feels the same. I find that the beta feels a bit different but then once the game comes out they release a patch and it's the same damn game every year.
Old Jul. 28th, '17, 10:37 am   #3
allthway
Master
May 2014 720

I thought the RS goalie side to side felt faster. Interesting you felt the opposite. My biggest gripe is that I'm gonna pay $60 for a patch.

With that said the release may be different than the beta. Madden feels very similar to me each year and I still buy it.

Old Jul. 28th, '17, 2:30 pm   #4
BTW8892

May 2009 2,419
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to BTW8892 Send a message via AIM to BTW8892 Send a message via Skype™ to BTW8892

I think there needs to be some minor tuning in terms of the puck possession, since every little bump knocks the puck loose. Not that it's a bad thing, but most of the time games end being a large cluster against teams that just blob up on the puck and it's just becomes frustrating. I'd much rather it be tuned down a bit so the chances of getting an actual flowing game of hockey increases. Shooting accuracy and deking in close on a breakaway also seem to be a little bit wonky, so add those to the tuning list as well.

I'll be honest though, I wasn't expecting it to feel much different than NHL 17 with the Frostbite engine likely being introduced next year. It would have been a lot of wasted work to revamp the gameplay when it's just going to be completely ripped apart next summer. I'll give EA a pass in that regard, since it made no sense to add on unnecessary work.

I am enjoying it so far, especially the new 3 on 3 modes.
Old Jul. 28th, '17, 4:56 pm   #5
No Regretzkys
Frozen Water Sports

Aug 2013 512
Long Island, NY

I'm enjoying it... For the most part.

I do think that there's been a bit too much "copy and paste", which is unfortunately becoming a trend with each new game, but overall, I think the gameplay offers something fresh. The AI still blows, but I'm having a good time... In my opinion, the speed of the deking and puck-handling needs to be turned up a notch, but it could just take some getting used to... I do also think that both 3v3 game modes are awesome, and really good for the game.

I'm optimistic... We'll see how this year turns out.
Old Jul. 28th, '17, 5:19 pm   #6
BONGKARMA
Compete,Respect,and Enjoy!

Sep 2008 2,065
NORTH CAROLINA U.S.A.
Send a message via MSN to BONGKARMA Send a message via AIM to BONGKARMA Send a message via ICQ to BONGKARMA Send a message via Skype™ to BONGKARMA Send a message via Yahoo to BONGKARMA

They'll take your Money!

Old Jul. 28th, '17, 6:29 pm   #7
allthway
Master
May 2014 720

We need human goalie options for 3v3

Old Jul. 28th, '17, 6:36 pm   #8
DrugMonkeyRX
Pack it up

Jul 2008 7,220
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to DrugMonkeyRX Send a message via AIM to DrugMonkeyRX

game is the same with some added QC certified dekes....yes I'm still going to buy it and play the shit out of it because I love team play
Old Jul. 29th, '17, 3:13 pm   #9
slow elk
Champipple

Jul 2008 2,729
Winterset, IA

Anyone have an extra beta code for xb1?
Old Jul. 29th, '17, 4:32 pm   #10
Makakk88
Just Joe

May 2011 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugMonkeyRX View Post
game is the same with some added QC certified dekes...
QC stands for quality cheese, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow elk View Post
Anyone have an extra beta code for xb1?
sent in PM