Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Hockey

Old Aug. 12th, '15, 10:21 pm   #21
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,658
Boston

Really good points and discussion guys. In addition to what has been mentioned, when I look at the situation I also see another round of warning signs surrounding his drinking. He's going to have to decide for himself where's he's at with that, but it wouldn't hurt for someone to suggest he take an honest look at himself and evaluate his relationship with alcohol.

Old Aug. 13th, '15, 6:44 am   #22
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,581
Canada

Best advice my father ever gave me was .....the easiest way to avoid a problem is work on foreseeing potential problems with your decisions and try to avoid situations with potential negative repercussions.

I am in no way blaming either party...that would be a horrible thing to do. I also know we can't really live our lives worried about what "may" happen. This is not an easy thing to do for me...stay out of situations I really want to be a part of....but it has served me well enough in life that I have shared this belief with my 3 children.

I get the feeling that at least 1 person is wishing they made different decisions that night.....it is sad because people can beat themselves up about things and end up taking ownership of things that are in no way their fault...clearly that is not healthy. Different decisions often lead to different consequences though.

Like I have said I hope this works out and people can start healing.

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self
Old Aug. 13th, '15, 10:35 am   #23
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,151
Winnipeg, Manitoba

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com...ick-kane-case/

Great opinion piece out of Buffalo. I think it echoes what most of us seem to be thinking. Unfortunately, life in the social media age doesn't work that way...
"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Aug. 14th, '15, 12:29 am   #24
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,753
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon77 View Post
On the other hand a lot of women are silenced because of the intimidation from fans, the media etc.
I agree, and that is an issue that needs to be fixed as well. In the military this sort of thing happens a lot though. Girl gets with guy, girl regrets it later, girls cries rape, guy loses rank/goes to jail and his career is over.

I'm not saying that is what this case is at all, obviously we have no idea what happened and if Kane is guilty or not. I just am against how society makes it very simple to ruin someones life (male OR female). I agree with above posters in the fact that these sort of cases need to be kept tightly under wraps until enough evidence is examined to determine whether or not there is something to charge the individual with.

Being a cop in the military I have unfortunately dealt with these situations. Our system is a little different. It stays restricted (only the commander and individuals involved know what happened, and the officer). If the person is cleared, nobody knows anything ever happened. If the individual is charged, it is released according to the Courts Martial procedures. That protects all parties involved.
Old Aug. 14th, '15, 2:45 pm   #25
Nico 916 Suave
Sir Gorgeous

Jul 2011 3,562
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latdogg View Post
Being a cop in the military I have unfortunately dealt with these situations. Our system is a little different. It stays restricted (only the commander and individuals involved know what happened, and the officer). If the person is cleared, nobody knows anything ever happened. If the individual is charged, it is released according to the Courts Martial procedures. That protects all parties involved.
That's the way it all should be handled.

I have no idea if that'd even work in regular society, though. With families involved. People jumping on social media, etc. it'd be very hard to enforce, but it SHOULD be like that. Much with many other things regarding the legal system, in my opinion.

Old Aug. 14th, '15, 3:21 pm   #26
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,151
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade916 View Post
That's the way it all should be handled.

I have no idea if that'd even work in regular society, though. With families involved. People jumping on social media, etc. it'd be very hard to enforce, but it SHOULD be like that. Much with many other things regarding the legal system, in my opinion.
A gag order on the media would mean the information isn't coming through any official channels, and that order could be extended to civilians. It's no different than how they treat people under 18 who commit a crime here. You can't publish their names or info regardless if it was a theft, rape, or even murder.
"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Aug. 14th, '15, 4:18 pm   #27
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,115
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

Whatever happened to the days where you'd get drunk, grab a woman's ass and she'd either like it and you'd get lucky or she didn't and you'd get a slap across the face and you called it even? Why does it have to be so complicated?