XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
Search Forums:
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > PC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May. 28th, '13, 10:50 am   #11
xDementedSpuDx
Go Flames!
Oct 2008 275
New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to xDementedSpuDx
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
I'm up and running!

Pie Man, I know this is an old post, but I was wondering, A: How your new build is treating you, and B: What online games you play. Always looking for people to join up with from XBS to get some online games going.
Anyway look up my steam name, Runningwithscissors144 Im on steam a lot. Lets get some games going!
Reply With Quote
Old May. 28th, '13, 12:36 pm   #12
OSB
Maximum effort!
 
OSB's Avatar
Jun 2008 13,716
Boston
Online
Default

Hi Spud!

The build is treating me well so far, as the machine continues to purr along and perform well. As far as online games I'm playing mostly MMORPGs with my kids. We had been playing World of Warcraft for some time, but recently switched over to the Star Wars game after trying the free version for a couple of weeks. When not playing with the kids I'm getting my gaming fix from The Secret World right now, having only started that recently.

I've also played Skyrim a lot on the new machine, though I've since uninstalled the game. I've no clue what my steam name is, I'll have to take a look when I get home. Too many accounts in too many places.

I'm going to build another gaming rig here in the next couple of weeks, kind of a birthday/father's day gift to myself. I already have a bunch of stuff for this build (case, memory, power supply, HDD, Blu-Ray drive), so the only things I'll be looking for will be the motherboard, cpu, graphics card, and maybe some more memory. I should be able to piece together a decent machine on a budget.




Reply With Quote
Old May. 28th, '13, 3:27 pm   #13
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?
 
SkatingPenguin's Avatar
Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
Hi Spud!

The build is treating me well so far, as the machine continues to purr along and perform well. As far as online games I'm playing mostly MMORPGs with my kids. We had been playing World of Warcraft for some time, but recently switched over to the Star Wars game after trying the free version for a couple of weeks. When not playing with the kids I'm getting my gaming fix from The Secret World right now, having only started that recently.

I've also played Skyrim a lot on the new machine, though I've since uninstalled the game. I've no clue what my steam name is, I'll have to take a look when I get home. Too many accounts in too many places.

I'm going to build another gaming rig here in the next couple of weeks, kind of a birthday/father's day gift to myself. I already have a bunch of stuff for this build (case, memory, power supply, HDD, Blu-Ray drive), so the only things I'll be looking for will be the motherboard, cpu, graphics card, and maybe some more memory. I should be able to piece together a decent machine on a budget.

Hey Pete one thing you *might* want to consider is a hackintosh. I built mine about 3 months ago and this thing screams and I can run windows on it like a regular mac. It's been great for music recording which is the reason I have it but it can do so much more. It's like a Mac Pro only less than half the cost. I have an i7 3770K running at 4.2ghz with 16 megs ram, SSD, regular hard drive etc and Im using the HD4000 onboard video from the gigabyte board. If you need more explanation you can goto www.tonymacx86.com.

Just an option since you like macs but want something for gaming too.
Reply With Quote
Old May. 28th, '13, 6:47 pm   #14
OSB
Maximum effort!
 
OSB's Avatar
Jun 2008 13,716
Boston
Online
Default

I've looked into and considered a hackintosh, but haven't been convinced. Do you do any gaming or video editing on yours? I'm asking specifically to see if that on board video card is enough (I don't think so but I could be wrong). I like to run my PC games on max/ultra graphics settings, or as good as I can get them. Thanks for the hackintosh link, I'll take a look at it tonight when I have more time.



Reply With Quote
Old May. 28th, '13, 6:55 pm   #15
A Blackguy618
Junior Member
May 2013 17
Offline
Default

Idk where you buy all your gear but I just recently built my PC. I love New Egg and its super cheap. Just a heads up. If building a PC its worth checking into.
Reply With Quote
Old May. 28th, '13, 7:37 pm   #16
OSB
Maximum effort!
 
OSB's Avatar
Jun 2008 13,716
Boston
Online
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Blackguy618 View Post
Idk where you buy all your gear but I just recently built my PC. I love New Egg and its super cheap. Just a heads up. If building a PC its worth checking into.
I used PC Part Picker as a loose guide, and found it to be surprisingly accurate. When I bought my parts I bought some from Amazon and I bought some from NewEgg as well. There were one or two other vendors that were a little cheaper on some of the parts, but not enough savings to make me want to use them - it was much more convenient for me to have all the parts shipped to me from only 2 vendors.

Here is the link: http://pcpartpicker.com/

This site has been under development for a couple of years by a young father, and business is finally picking up enough for him that he can work on the site full time (for which I applaud him). I don't know this guy at all, but I can vouch for the accuracy of his information when I built my PC recently, and I'll be using his site again when I sit down to figure out my next build.

I'm curious to learn more about the machine you just recently built - what are you running?




Reply With Quote
Old May. 29th, '13, 9:05 am   #17
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?
 
SkatingPenguin's Avatar
Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
I've looked into and considered a hackintosh, but haven't been convinced. Do you do any gaming or video editing on yours? I'm asking specifically to see if that on board video card is enough (I don't think so but I could be wrong). I like to run my PC games on max/ultra graphics settings, or as good as I can get them. Thanks for the hackintosh link, I'll take a look at it tonight when I have more time.
The use is mainly music but aslong as you use mac supported parts in the computer you can run it either as a mac or a PC. If I was doing heavy gaming, then I would definatley go with a video card instead of onboard video. The HD4000 is great for what I need. I have ran photoshop on it with no problems but if I was doing video editing I'd get a card just to be safe.

Let me know if you have any questions. Sometimes that site can be a bit confusing as they is alot to read. I could give you a list of the exact parts I got to price out if you want
Reply With Quote
Old May. 29th, '13, 12:24 pm   #18
OSB
Maximum effort!
 
OSB's Avatar
Jun 2008 13,716
Boston
Online
Default

That was some interesting reading, and I'm going to have to do some more (I like doing research like this). If you have a list of parts and prices handy I'd love to take a look SP.



Reply With Quote
Old May. 29th, '13, 1:56 pm   #19
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?
 
SkatingPenguin's Avatar
Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
That was some interesting reading, and I'm going to have to do some more (I like doing research like this). If you have a list of parts and prices handy I'd love to take a look SP.
This is the best page to goto

http://www.tonymacx86.com/351-buildi...-may-2013.html and scroll down to customac pro. That is the page where I got the parts of what I was going to get. The cool thing is they have links beside to amazon and newegg so you can price it out right from the link and they are the cheapest in the US. I got my parts at a local chain up here.

Here were my parts:

Intel Core i7-3770K
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
Corsair low profile 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA (use this as my boot drive)
1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda drive (use this for all the music samples, libraries and general storage)
Fractal R4 case (this thing is killer and has soundproofing inside that doesnt get hot
Noctura NH-D14 CPU cooler (I didnt want a water cooler for fear of leakage so I got this. It's near silent but its massive which is fine, also there is one for a different chipset so you gotta make sure its the right one)
Corsair 650 Watt Modular power supply
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi card
LG DVD drive

The main things that matter are the motherboard, CPU & Ram. The rest you can use what you want but that forum you can ask questions and they're great. Check out the golden builds section too. I can run two monitors off my system with the HD4000

Like I said, you can use this build for gaming no problem strictly for a PC, however you have the option to run a full functional mac too.
Reply With Quote
Old May. 29th, '13, 2:03 pm   #20
OSB
Maximum effort!
 
OSB's Avatar
Jun 2008 13,716
Boston
Online
Default

Thanks for the insight man, I truly appreciate it.



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Site Styles
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:51 pm.
Contact Us - XBox-Sports - Archive - Top
Menu Links