Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > PC

Old Oct. 6th, '16, 2:07 am   #1
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Default New laptop/tablet help

Hey guys -

I'm trying to figure out what type of computer I should be getting the wife as her 6 year old HP 14" notebook is starting to break apart at the seams. Neither one of us is all that interested in anything too fancy - we don't game or use any particularly RAM heavy applications on the computer. Basically it's for Facebook, YouTube, and some light office work.

Now, I've been starting to consider a tablet because a larger 10-12" with a kickstand could double as a Netflix device for us, but this is not the priority.

Definitely not looking to break the bank, but I would rather pay a little more for quality than get rock bottom pricing.

Finally, nothing from Apple. We're Samsung loyalists. Windows 10 is also acceptable, one of those two would be preferred unless someone wants to give me a sterling review of the newer Amazon Fire tabs (I don't use Amazon and have not even seen their OS before).

Any help is much appreciated.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Oct. 6th, '16, 11:22 am   #2
GetLowBanks
aka: RickJamezl3ish

May 2011 1,256
Windsor

Your price range will determine and narrow down the field.. I just got a new acer laptop. The only thing I can add is look into solid state drives vs hard drives. I got a solid state and am liking it so far.

Old Oct. 6th, '16, 12:11 pm   #3
DesiredCustoms
XBSHL Junkie
Jun 2008 3,281
Niagara Falls, Ontario

i use currently an HP Revolve 810 Elitebook

it goes from laptop to tablet by flipping the screen around..
1- great battery
2- screen is touch as well great resolution
3- everything built in you can ask for

fast as hell and everything works like clockwork.

I am a mac guy at home.. and I would push you towards a MacBook air any day of the week. but if u wanna stay pc def look at the above

thanks

Old Oct. 6th, '16, 6:04 pm   #4
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I dont want to say there's a super firm price range, but I dont want to go much past $600. Partly because of the limited functionality needed and partly because I'm going to have to get something better next year for when I go back to school. This is more of a stopgap to get us through when we don't need it THAT badly.

Thanks guys

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Oct. 7th, '16, 2:02 am   #5
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,761
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLowBanks View Post
Your price range will determine and narrow down the field.. I just got a new acer laptop. The only thing I can add is look into solid state drives vs hard drives. I got a solid state and am liking it so far.
I would highly recommend Acer if you are looking for a quality product at a low price. I bought an Acer laptop back in 2009 and it's still going strong (I don't game on it, I bought a gaming laptop in 2013). I would imagine the newer Acer products are amazing considering how well mine has help up over the past 7 years.
Old Oct. 7th, '16, 11:54 am   #6
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Sort of leaning that way, I've always had Acer products and they've been good. My own notebook should have lasted longer than 4 years but it's been sropped so many times.