Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > PC

Old Feb. 13th, '14, 2:12 pm   #1
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,715
Boston
Thumbs up TESO - Who's getting this and is it worth getting organized?

I know there's about a half dozen folks here (possibly more) who are getting TESO when it comes out in April. I don't know nearly enough about the game yet, so I don't know if it's possible to form guilds/clans or anything like that. I also realize that the Elder Scrolls series has always been and continues to be a role playing game, so it might be tough to get everyone on the same faction given the way they have set up the 3 alliances. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to feel like they had to play a certain faction if that wasn't they first choice.

But again, there might be enough benefit to having a clan/guild to make it worth it to play one character more than another. I personally suffer from altitis when it comes to RPGs that I like, so I often end up leveling up one of each of the main archetypes (warrior/mage/rogue) and then a couple of interesting hybrids somewhere in between. So with that said, I personally don't see the factions as an obstacle since I'll probably be open to playing any number of combinations of races/classes.

I'm pre-ordering the Imperial set for PC, mostly for the lore book (and of course the epic Molag Bal statue for my office desk at work). I don't particularly care for Imperials, and after scoffing at first at the though of having the special edition be Imperial I decided that all the Imperial regalia may actually have RP value if I end up playing a counter-Imperial type character.

This last beta for example I played a small female woodelf templar in medium armor who used a bow for a main weapon, healed those around her, and switch to dual blades when cornered into melee combat. Before that I played a monstrous Nord in heavy armor with shield and mace. Lets just say he took quite the different approach, and my High Elf Mage just sits back scoffing and feeling superior to all my other characters.

OK, so who's getting this for sure and what are you guys thinking in terms of clans and alliances? Anyone more educated than myself have time to provide additional insight on how this may work come April?

Old Feb. 13th, '14, 3:30 pm   #2
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,562
Canada

I'm still on the fence but I don't think I will, maybe closer to release I might budge like I always do with MMOs, but this game doesn't have much end game content, and thats pretty big for me. Right now, exploration is a big part of the end game, and that just isn't for me, especially when I gotta dish out retail + monthly fee.

I don't think MMOs should be released until they develop some solid end game that will keep people busy, it might take longer to make, and until they start seeing money come in, but for the overall health of the game and to keep people interested past the first month or two...end game is so important.

WoW had the luxury of pretty much being the only being the only big MMO in town, and were able to take their time with the end game and not have people quit in the first 1-2 months.
Old Feb. 13th, '14, 5:01 pm   #3
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,761
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

I will for sure be getting this and I would be down to join up in a clan/guild. In the beta I have been using a Nord with a two-handed sword and heavy armor. I'm not sure yet if I am going that route when the full game drops or if I want a faster character.
Old Feb. 13th, '14, 5:18 pm   #4
Nexus510
Banned
Sep 2011 1,910
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec0688 View Post
I'm still on the fence but I don't think I will, maybe closer to release I might budge like I always do with MMOs, but this game doesn't have much end game content, and thats pretty big for me. Right now, exploration is a big part of the end game, and that just isn't for me, especially when I gotta dish out retail + monthly fee.

I don't think MMOs should be released until they develop some solid end game that will keep people busy, it might take longer to make, and until they start seeing money come in, but for the overall health of the game and to keep people interested past the first month or two...end game is so important.

WoW had the luxury of pretty much being the only being the only big MMO in town, and were able to take their time with the end game and not have people quit in the first 1-2 months.
Couldn't agree more. End game content was huge to me as well and a reason why I dropped out of Guild Wars 2 early. I just didn't enjoy the little endgame content they had in the beginning, and I burnt myself out power leveling to get there.

World of Warcraft is a game I can always go back with my friends and play, but raiding becomes so time consuming and more of a second job. Not something easily balanced with wanting to play XBS as well as other console games
Old Feb. 13th, '14, 5:44 pm   #5
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,715
Boston

That's why I've given up on end game content for the most part. I don't have the time to dedicate to raids anymore like in WoW, I just don't. I mean, I'm glad I did it for some time and killed some of the world bosses, but I'm done with the grind that's required to get to the point where I'm truly useful at my chosen role at the end game raids, because its more about gear than it is about skill, at which point it just comes down to a matter of whoever has more time to play wins.

My WoW is still active and I still log in from time to time, and my characters do feel powerful and I have fond memories of how I got there, but it feels like the game of my childhood, a game that has become entire too long in the tooth.

Admittedly I like lore, I like good writing, character development, exploring, questing, and achieving quest objectives in various different manners. I also like to craft, and I like to try to invent new recipes if the game allows it.

I think the key to long term success for these next generation MMORPGs is going to be the ability for players to own a piece of the world, and to have some sort of affect on their shared persistent fantasy world. Kind of like EQ is doing with Landmark right now. Its basically a version of Minecraft using EQ Next tools and graphics. Its in alpha stage, and buggy as hell, but if its a sign of what might become possible in EQ Next then count me very interested.