XBox-Sports Forum

XBox-Sports Forum (http://forum.xbox-sports.com/index.php)
-   Other Help (http://forum.xbox-sports.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Apple Fanboys who have an Airport Wireless Extreme (http://forum.xbox-sports.com/showthread.php?t=14858)

ExArmySgt Jun. 1st, '12 9:57 pm

Apple Fanboys who have an Airport Wireless Extreme

I keep getting 'Moderate NAT' on Xboxs here at the house. My son's connected then my daughter tried and got a NAT error. I reset the modem, connected hers fine then my son's got the NAT error. Apparently, a LOT of people are having this issue. Do any of you have to do port mapping or setup a DMZ to get an open NAT? Please let me know. I would think if one gets a "Moderate" NAT setting, they all would and vice versa. I'm considering strongly taking this thing back and keeping the NETGEAR I put aside for this thing. The NETGEAR was giving me the NAT bullshit as well and wouldn't work despite me trying multiple fixes. I might try TWC too since it seems to be the common denominator in all this. Just hoping to get some feedback on any possible workarounds you that have an Airport Extreme have discovered.

Phoenix 2.0 Jun. 2nd, '12 8:13 am

This won't help at all Joe, but I'm not getting any issues with the AEBS.

Plug it in, connect it to the modem and setup. I haven't touched any port settings at all.

Was there a firmware update for your router that may have fudged your settings up?

When you say a lot of people are getting this issue, are they Xbox or net gear users?

Phoenix 2.0 Jun. 2nd, '12 8:17 am

I just reread your post, you have an AEBS?

I have to step out for a bit but will think of some things to try....

What kind of network is it? WPA or something else.

I will check my settings when I get back and post up, don't take it back.

ExArmySgt Jun. 2nd, '12 8:17 am

AEBS users. It seems there is an issue when two consoles try to connect at the same time. The first one connects without issue but the second gets the restriction. I've had the latest firmware from the get-go so I don't think that's it. Thanks for the info. Do you ever have two consoles connecting at once?

I just now found this article using slightly different search terms: http://www.techknowlogy.jigsy.com/en...ssible---wrong

Phoenix 2.0 Jun. 2nd, '12 10:03 am

I only have 1 at a time connected but I have a whack of WiFi devices.

ExArmySgt Jun. 2nd, '12 10:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix 2.0 (Post 223288)
I only have 1 at a time connected but I have a whack of WiFi devices.

I have a number of wi-fi devices as well but it seems when multiple Xboxs try to access the same ports, it causes problems. Hopefully I can get something figured out. I find multiple suggestions online though some say it worked for them, others say it doesn't. Ironically, one guy said he got an AEBS and that alone solved his problems. Not sure how much having Vonage interferes with things either, if at all. Kids will be here most of the summer so I definitely need to get a workaround. Go ahead and drop me from the XBS2 league and I'll rejoin. I really can't say when I'll be available to play Bong with all that's going on around here. My dad is coming in today and staying until Wednesday as well.

Phoenix 2.0 Jun. 2nd, '12 11:27 am

Quote:

Unfortunately, the AirPorts are not listed as Xbox Live-compatible routers ... so there is no guarantee doing this will get Open NAT status for Xbox Live!

The following web blog does a great job explaining the NAT issues with Xbox Live! Basically what it comes down to is that although you can get an Internet connection for the Xbox with the AirPorts, you may not get the necessary NAT setting (Moderate or Open) for the Xbox Live! on-line game that you want to play. As such, you basically have two options: 1) Create a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host) for the XBox or 2) Configure the AirPort for Port mapping to open the required ports to allow Xbox Live! access ... or 3) Use a compatible router.

Option 1 - Create a DMZ
AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT
Enable default host at: <Enter the IP Address for the XBox>

Option 2 - Configure Port Mapping

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

To setup port mapping on an 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn), either connect to the AEBSn's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the LAN port of the AEBSn, and then use the AirPort Utility, in Manual Setup, to make these settings:

1. Reserve a DHCP-provided IP address for the Xbox 360.
AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > DHCP tab
Click the "+" (Add) button to enter DHCP Reservations.
Description: <enter the desired description of the host device>
Reserve address by: MAC Address
Click Continue.
MAC Address: <Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network.>
IPv4 Address: <enter the desired Private IP address>
Click Done.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the AEBSn.
AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT > Configure Port Mappings
Click the "+" (Add) button
Service: <choose the appropriate service from the Service pop-up menu>
Public UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
Public TCP Port(s): 3074
Private IP Address: <enter the DHCP Reserved IP address for the Xbox you created earlier>
Private UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
Private TCP Port(s): 3074
Click "Continue"
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

This may help

http://www.rasmithuk.org.uk/?page_id=81%3Cbr%3E

ExArmySgt Jun. 2nd, '12 12:12 pm

I came across the first post and was looking to try those settings. I will take a look at the other link as well.

GrandmasterB Jun. 2nd, '12 9:29 pm

We have and AEBS and connect two xboxes simultaneously. One is close enough to be wired, but the other is wireless.

I just logged into the admin settings an we don't have anything special set up. Other than the network name and password it's all plug n play.

ExArmySgt Jun. 2nd, '12 9:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandmasterB (Post 223376)
We have and AEBS and connect two xboxes simultaneously. One is close enough to be wired, but the other is wireless.

I just logged into the admin settings an we don't have anything special set up. Other than the network name and password it's all plug n play.

I guess I'm just an unlucky SOB then though all four of mine are connecting wirelessly. From what I understand, it doesn't matter anyway. The first Xbox to connect is good but subsequent connections get a Moderate NAT setting. I tried multiple things in hopes of getting it to work to no avail. As much as I like the router, I couldn't justify the cost if I couldn't use it to solve my problem. I'm using the Netgear WNDR4500 it replaced and it is giving me the same issue which is why I bought the AEBS in the first place. I can't seem to find any routers that are Xbox LIVE compatible router so not sure what I'm going to do. It really pisses me off that Xbox LIVE and router makes aren't actively trying to solve this issue or have specific instructions to set things up so they'll work correctly.