PDA

View Full Version : 3D TVs?

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 9:43 am
So I'm about to buy another new TV. This time I'm debating between a 3D TV or just a regular LED.

Does anyone have a 3D TV and if so, what are your thoughts?

I know the 3DTV are also available in LED and can just watch 2D (but it also upconverts to a 3D if you wish).

Basically I'm looking for justification in spending the extra money on 3D or not.....

SoulControlla99
Jul. 27th, '10, 10:58 am
I just can't imagine myself wearing glasses to watch TV all the time. I hope the TV technology is better than what they have for the movies cause I'm really not impressed with it. It reminds me of the 3D viewmasters where it looks like 2 or 3 2D images at different distances.

Jcon77
Jul. 27th, '10, 11:35 am
Avatar is the only thing that got it right. Its just a gimmick with any other programming IMO. Remember what happens to people who buy the first wave of anything (i.e. nothing good). Better to wait until programming options increase and prices come down.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 12:11 pm
Yeah, I'm very much leaning towards the regular LED.

Non 3D LED's, I've already done A LOT of homework on.

This is probably the set I'm picking up this week. (It's even on sale..lol). It's one of the highest reviewed/rated LED sets on CNET.com. (a trusted site for me)

9,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 240Hz refresh rate and blazingly-fast 1ms response time will bring images to life with stunning realism - WOW.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-55-1080p-240hz-led-hdtv-55le8500-55le8500/10142002.aspx?path=7a282f4eabed9fdcd7d618139ff6acd den02

canadianwhiskey
Jul. 27th, '10, 12:28 pm
I would go LED. A lot of people at saying 3d will die again in a few years. People don't want to pay out of the ass for the glasses and shit that you need with these tvs. I personally can't stand 3d. Avatar was cool, but I would never want to see it at home like that.

bones56
Jul. 27th, '10, 1:02 pm
LED LED LED!! 3D is not for me, at this point i don't think it will take off. Especially after recently upgraded to HD and now you want everyone to go to 3D and wear these stupid goggles. nah i am ok!! thanks. Good luck though. I wont be buying a new tv for sometime now!! Keep us posted.

OldTimeHockey
Jul. 27th, '10, 2:05 pm
Straight up LED all the way. Not sure about LG though.

3D will either die, or the technology will hopefully be better, maybe to the point of like Nintendo's 3DSi? That you don't need glasses, but unfortunately you need to be at the exact angle, and also I think I read somewhere with that technology that everyone sees the effect differently, so there is a sliding button to make the adjustment...but if you have a room full of people each seeing differently, I don't see how this could work.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 2:11 pm
Actually, it was rated overall just as high as the set you have OTH and I WAS going to buy last year (but it's discontinued now - they replaced it with the 3D sets, but the PQ went downhill).

And the LG set PQ was even rated slightly higher than your Samsung.

Decision is now made, I'm picking the set up later this week :)

BxGngsta
Jul. 27th, '10, 2:13 pm
My friend has a 3D TV, Sony Bravia I believe is the model. Let me start by saying the 3D TV looks absolutely NUTS!!! They only had the 3D cartoon that comes with the set and I am sincere when I said I actually move out of reaction when something came at me. Yes, the whole glasses thing is a pain but I couldn't believe how great it looked.

After checking out that movie, he put on Red Dead Redemption and I don't think I will ever see the game the same way anymore. The picture was amazing and really brought the details out of the game! Now this might as well just be the same with any "Bravia" TV, but it really was that impressive.

As far as buying a unit, I wouldn't do it, it's too expensive now . I would wait and see how much more does TV change to accomodate 3D, and then wait a bit more for the price to drop. Just like with everything, the price usually drops after it is not considred th

OldTimeHockey
Jul. 27th, '10, 2:25 pm
Glad you made a decision BBB! I was going based on the couple of LG TVs I've had to deal with at timeshares in Hawaii and Vegas. Wasn't really impressed. But if you say its got a great rating, then that's awesome! Bottom line is you are the one who has to be happy.

But I thought you were going to wait for a 60" TV? I thought I had saw one on the market somewhere.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 2:30 pm
Yeah, this is LG's top of the line model.

The 60" TVs available right now just don't compare PQ wise to this one. And I'm tired of waiting......55" will have to be good enough for now ;)

Krimsonfire
Jul. 27th, '10, 2:48 pm
so when are you inviting me over to watch this bad boy? lol (when are we doing the toronto meet up!)

canadianwhiskey
Jul. 27th, '10, 2:55 pm
My LG was rated higher than the comparable Samsung. Great picture. The cheaper LGs aren't as nice but they are cheaper so what do you expect.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 3:42 pm
so when are you inviting me over to watch this bad boy? lol (when are we doing the toronto meet up!)

That depends how many hot girls & cases of beer you can bring over :thumbup:

Penguin and I were talking about that a couple weeks ago. I think we're going to hold off until next summer. We're hoping to get some of the Yankees up here too, so given that OTH and Bones both just had kids, this summer is out.

But I'm hoping they can escape for a weekend next summer. I'm going to plan one hell of a XBS get together here in Toronto. Mark my words. What happens in T.O., stays in T.O. :rofl:

CSampson
Jul. 27th, '10, 4:34 pm
Looking at the penetration rate of HDTVs in North America, I can't see how 3D technology will make an impact. Best to avoid IMO.

SkatingPenguin
Jul. 27th, '10, 5:17 pm
That depends how many hot girls & cases of beer you can bring over :thumbup:

Penguin and I were talking about that a couple weeks ago. I think we're going to hold off until next summer. We're hoping to get some of the Yankees up here too, so given that OTH and Bones both just had kids, this summer is out.

But I'm hoping they can escape for a weekend next summer. I'm going to plan one hell of a XBS get together here in Toronto. Mark my words. What happens in T.O., stays in T.O. :rofl:

Hell yea!!!!

OldTimeHockey
Jul. 27th, '10, 6:09 pm
I guess you guys are right about LG lower end. Gotta assume since it was timeshares, albeit extremely nice Marriott ones, that the TVs aren't the top of the line models. I just remember fumbling around with settings and whatnot, and the PQ sucked IMO. In fact, not many menu options. So I guess I just typecast LG based on those bad experiences.

As far as coming up to Toronto...hell yes!!! I am definitely willing. Question is if I am able. I'm sure bones would be in the same boat I am in...that it would most definitely have to be a trip after the first birthday party.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 7:27 pm
I was thinking sometime next August. Or we can try to plan it around the Yankees coming to town ;)

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 7:30 pm
Here's CNET's review on the TV.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-infinia-55le8500/4505-6482_7-33957044.html?tag=mncol;lst

bones56
Jul. 27th, '10, 7:48 pm
As far as coming up to Toronto...hell yes!!! I am definitely willing. Question is if I am able. I'm sure bones would be in the same boat I am in...that it would most definitely have to be a trip after the first birthday party.

for sure!! I think it would be best to surround it around a Yankee game, my wife knows i would love to do this and have wanted to go for a very long time. This would be the perfect reason for me to go up!! I may have kid #2 in the oven but we will see what the powers that be have in store for me. (but if it were up to me it would be 1 and done)

on side note, i priced it once a few years back and it was pretty reasonable, for a long weekend 300-400 bucks pp to stay at one of the hotels near the staduim!! I think this helps when the Jays have a losing season!! :thumbup:

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 27th, '10, 11:00 pm
Yeah, we get A LOT of Yankee fans up from the US when they are in town. I'd say it's a good 1/3 of the crowd.

Jepockn
Jul. 28th, '10, 12:24 am
from my experiances.. if your picky about motion blur, and pixelation go for plasma. i went through 7 different led/lcd tv's and none compared to panasonics plasma's for picture quality and speed

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 28th, '10, 8:43 am
I don't want anything to do with plasma. People I know who got them (even recently) have experienced burn in (especially during the break in period) which I'm not interested in risking. I game more than I watch TV, so plasma wouldn't be good for me.

Drake
Jul. 28th, '10, 8:55 am
I don't want anything to do with plasma. People I know who got them (even recently) have experienced burn in (especially during the break in period) which I'm not interested in risking. I game more than I watch TV, so plasma wouldn't be good for me.

That was with new plasmas? Damn i thought that was a thing of the past. I will be looking for a new TV pretty soon and really like plasma.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 28th, '10, 9:31 am
That was with new plasmas? Damn i thought that was a thing of the past. I will be looking for a new TV pretty soon and really like plasma.

That's what I thought too....I also use avsforum.com to get info from and there I found many cases where people are still getting burn in.

Without a doubt some plasmas do have the best pictures, but if you game A LOT, they still warn you about it happening. I forget the ratio, but I remember reading that you should only get a plasma if you use it for watching TV over a certain % of your usage time.

Jeffrey99
Jul. 28th, '10, 8:16 pm
OK question I just thought of, if 3d movies already out and available to play on current HD tv's on Blu Ray, why do we need a new 3d tv? For example I bought Journey to the center of the earth and I've seen Polar Express, both of which were in 3d on my PS3 using my current HDTV. So how is it possible for those movies to play in 3d on a regular HDTV but for some reason now we need 3d tv's?

OldTimeHockey
Jul. 28th, '10, 8:38 pm
Two different technologies. I have both of those movies on Blu Ray as well, with the little red/blue glasses. Its not too much of a 3-D showing per se, its more gimmicky. There may be one or two scenes that really pop using that technology, but on the whole, the image will appear much darker making you have to up the brightness on your TV. The way the scenes are colored is how they make it appear 3-D, but its really a tiny magic trick.

The new TV's have those special glasses that are actually openning and closing each eye seperately a billion times a second (made up number). That tricks the brain into processing the double image on screen as something that is in 3D. And that's why the glasses are battery operated.

bones56
Jul. 28th, '10, 8:45 pm
on a side note the ps3 can be upgraded to play 3D movies.

Krimsonfire
Jul. 28th, '10, 9:56 pm
it only does everything.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 29th, '10, 2:37 pm
Yay, picked up the TV today. Can't wait to set it up tonight after coaching my son's soccer team (I don't even want to go now) :)

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 29th, '10, 2:40 pm
When I was at BB though, I was checking out the 60" Sharp Aquos Quattron (nice and big - same price as the TV I got, but the PQ isn't as good).

Also checked out the 3D TV's. Man was that cool....I see what people are saying about wearing glasses though...it would get bothersome after a bit.....but the picture was incredible. They had this demo where you were white water rafting and I found myself moving my head around......very cool.

BleedBlueBlood
Aug. 3rd, '10, 9:30 am
I just have to say, after using my new TV for a few days now.....this TV is the SHIT!

I highly recommend this TV for anyone who is in the market for a new 55" LED TV. (LG 55LE8500)

Jcon77
Aug. 3rd, '10, 10:00 am
I just have to say, after using my new TV for a few days now.....this TV is the SHIT!

I highly recommend this TV for anyone who is in the market for a new 55" LED TV. (LG 55LE8500)

I don't believe you. I order you to buy me one and prove me wrong! :agree:

BleedBlueBlood
Aug. 3rd, '10, 1:25 pm
I don't believe you. I order you to buy me one and prove me wrong! :agree:

If you would have asked me, I would have said sure. But since you ordered me and sound like my wife......I got 2 words for ya....:rofl:

OldTimeHockey
Aug. 3rd, '10, 1:47 pm
Here JConn...I saved you some cash. Here is a pretty good replica of BBB's TV picture quality. Who needs 3D with visuals like these?

http://gaygamer.net/images/diorama.jpg

Jcon77
Aug. 3rd, '10, 2:15 pm
Here JConn...I saved you some cash. Here is a pretty good replica of BBB's TV picture quality. Who needs 3D with visuals like these?

http://gaygamer.net/images/diorama.jpg

So is Cloud from FF VII going to come in and ride one to the Knights of the Round Materia?

And its Jcon with one "n".

OldTimeHockey
Aug. 3rd, '10, 2:42 pm
And its Jcon with one "n".

Leave off the last n for nincompoof.

Perhaps you like your TV a little more primative:

http://www.stormthecastle.com/diorama/dinosaur-diorama/images/dinosaur-diorama3.jpg

SkatingPenguin
Aug. 3rd, '10, 10:07 pm
Hey don't laugh we would have given our left nut to have graphics look like that years ago when we were playing Atari! lol

Jcon77
Aug. 4th, '10, 9:19 am
Leave off the last n for nincompoof.

Perhaps you like your TV a little more primative:

http://www.stormthecastle.com/diorama/dinosaur-diorama/images/dinosaur-diorama3.jpg

I love that channel. I'm sure you don't since there isn't any beastiality. :agree: