PDA

View Full Version : Netflix coming to Canada

Phoenix 2.0
Jul. 20th, '10, 11:40 pm
http://www.netflix.ca/Default?autoRedirected=1

so that's all well and good, but is it worth it?

I like the fact that Netflix seems to be the go to place for movies and TV shows (right?) and it is coming to Canada soon, but does one account work on all devices?

I have a 360/PS3/Wii and iPhone, all of them can connect to Netflix but will the devices all need separate accounts or one and done?

At the most I will be using 2 things at once, will that affect my account? say I am on the road and watching something on my iPhone and my kids or wife is watching something on Netflix through 360 or PS3, will that work?

GrandmasterB
Jul. 20th, '10, 11:42 pm
I love Netflix...it's a great service and the streaming video is well worth the minimum $9.95/month (USD of course). I've actually been watching the Avatar: The Last Airbender series on the instant queue and it's great. Being able to take a movie service almost anywhere is great!

Phoenix 2.0
Jul. 20th, '10, 11:43 pm
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/entertainment/mobile/netflix-to-offer-internet-movies-tv-programming-in-canada-starting-this-fall-98851759.html

TORONTO - Canadians will have another way to watch movies this fall when popular California-based Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq:NFLX) launches its streaming video services for the first time outside the United States.
The company, famous for revolutionizing the way Americans rent DVDs by sending them through the mail, announced Monday that it will start offering movies and television shows in Canada for a flat-rate monthly fee.
However, Netflix says its services will not include shipping DVDs through the mail like it does in the U.S.
Instead, the company hopes to build its Canadian presence by streaming movies through the Internet to computers and other devices like the Xbox 360, iPads and the PlayStation 3.
"Netflix members in the U.S. are showing us that streaming is more and more popular and a greater convenience," said Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey in a phone interview.
The company didn't say how much it will charge for the service, though it offers tiered packages in the U.S. that allow more programming options for a higher price.
Competition has been heating up in the past few years for Canadians' entertainment dollars, particularly in the home entertainment market.
Similar on-demand Internet online programming services are being rolled out by several Canadian companies, particularly Quebecor's Videotron (TSX:QBR.B) and Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.B).
The cable operators have built elaborate on-demand services on TVs , and to a lesser extent online, that aim to bring new release movies to homes on the same day as video stores, while offering an extensive back catalogue of television and movies.
Earlier this month, Sony Canada launched a new section of its PlayStation store that allows users to rent or buy movies through the PlayStation 3, similar to how Apple's iTunes store sells movies and TV shows.
Zip.ca operates a mail-order DVD service similar to Netflix in the U.S., and has promised to launch its own streaming video services in the near future.
The growing number of options has put the pinch on more traditional DVD retailers like Blockbuster Video and Rogers, which a few years ago rebranded its DVD and video games stores as Rogers Plus to accommodate a stronger focus on mobile phone products and cable services.
Netflix says Canada will be the first international market for its Internet subscription service. The company had planned to test the water in the U.K., but backed out before the service launched.

sounds great!

Phoenix 2.0
Jul. 20th, '10, 11:44 pm
so if I read that right, I can log in from work and stream a movie is that right?

jujimum
Jul. 20th, '10, 11:49 pm
Yep, one account covers ALL Netflix capable devices and that includes PCs.

Even if you have the 1-disc per month package, you get UNLIMITED "Instant Plays". The only complaint from people is that most are not in HD. Well, trust me, I watched District 9 the other day and definitely didn't notice it being much different. I've said it before and will again, HD doesn't impress me like it does others ;) They are DVD quality and that's all I need.

*EDIT* Just read that Canada won't have disc plans. Not sure how that would work and the cost, but I still think it's worth it. Hopefully they start getting more recent DVDs for Instant Play though. It's a great way to watch TV shows that you might not have watched though.

bones56
Jul. 21st, '10, 12:01 am
so if I read that right, I can log in from work and stream a movie is that right?

yes sir, just log into your account and your all set.

Phoenix 2.0
Jul. 21st, '10, 12:17 am
damn!

if they price it fair enough I could see this really exploding in Canada, I was never a fan of renting DVD's because something would always come up and I would forget to bring it back on time. The late fees alone drove me batshit crazy, I like the idea of watching what ever I want whenever and where ever I want legitimately...

jujimum
Jul. 21st, '10, 12:24 am
damn!

if they price it fair enough I could see this really exploding in Canada, I was never a fan of renting DVD's because something would always come up and I would forget to bring it back on time. The late fees alone drove me batshit crazy, I like the idea of watching what ever I want whenever and where ever I want legitimately...

That's what I like about the disc program ;) I get two out at a time for an unlimited time. I waste money sometimes because I'll rent 2 a month. But sometimes I'll rent 3-4 in a week. No late fees, you just hurt yourself by not returning them.

I think I pay 14.95 for one and as GMB said, it's 9.95 or so for one. I can't see them charging more than that for streaming only considering the library here is somewhat limited.

I also watched "Break on through" or whatever the Doors documentary is called through the streaming service. So things are getting really good in that regards.

TommyNuGuns
Jul. 21st, '10, 2:43 pm
I have the 1 dvd plan and instant play package and I love it. I mostly use it for watching watching tv shows.hopefully they can get an even greater selection on the instant play features. I've had it for over a year now and the selection has improved drastically.

Danzerino
Jul. 21st, '10, 2:47 pm
Finally it's about time Canada always gets left out..

Phoenix 2.0
Jul. 23rd, '10, 7:46 pm
Finally it's about time Canada always gets left out..

it has nothing to do with being left out, realistically Canada does not have the population to make it as profitable until the real demand is there for product.

Keep in mind that the Population of California (1 state) is greater than the entire population of Canada.

I really don't mind waiting for some things, gives enough time for bugs and the like to be worked out before we get our hands on it ;)

pixel_archived
Jul. 23rd, '10, 7:52 pm
it has nothing to do with being left out, realistically Canada does not have the population to make it as profitable until the real demand is there for product.

Keep in mind that the Population of California (1 state) is greater than the entire population of Canada.

I really don't mind waiting for some things, gives enough time for bugs and the like to be worked out before we get our hands on it ;)

Actually it was our great CRTC that prevented them from coming to Canada. All has to do with that idiotic rule about "Canadian content".

Danzerino
Jul. 24th, '10, 11:52 pm
We are the closest country to the US and we get things like 1 month to 1 year later

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 29th, '10, 4:43 pm
NICE, my new TV (I got today) even has the Netflix app built into it, along with a bunch of others. I guess I better make sure I connect my TV to the internet :) I'll have to buy a wireless dongle (or whatever it's called) as I can't direct connect from where my TV and router is.

bones56
Jul. 29th, '10, 6:37 pm
Congrats and good luck with it!!

DrugMonkeyRX
Jul. 30th, '10, 7:12 pm
The stock is thru the roof by the way..lol

bones56
Jul. 31st, '10, 10:08 am
The stock is thru the roof by the way..lol

yes it is, i remember when it was 40 a share about a year ago!!

bones56
Aug. 26th, '10, 11:57 am
Netflix app is now available for download!!

wow, i just downloaded it and not only can you manage your que but you can also watch your instant que and movies too!! This is probably one the most amazing things i have ever seen!! :)

now i really wish i bought the stock a year ago!!

Latdogg
Aug. 26th, '10, 12:47 pm

wow, i just downloaded it and not only can you manage your que but you can also watch your instant que and movies too!! This is probably one the most amazing things i have ever seen!! :)

now i really wish i bought the stock a year ago!!Is this for iPhone, Blackberry, or both?

jujimum
Aug. 26th, '10, 12:52 pm

now i really wish i bought the stock a year ago!!

Um, bones, did you not use it on your 360?

GrandmasterB
Aug. 26th, '10, 1:21 pm
Just downloaded the app on my iPhone...bad ass!

bones56
Aug. 26th, '10, 1:46 pm
Um, bones, did you not use it on your 360?

of course i did and still do, but its kind of different when you have all of that on your telephone at your fingertips!!

David, I imagine its for the blackberry too but not sure.

on my lunch break i watched an episode of the family guy!!

pixel_archived
Sep. 25th, '10, 6:55 am
*BUMP*

Just a heads up, Netflix is now available in Canada. They offer a one month free trial membership. You do need a valid credit card to sign up though. The monthly fee is $7.99 (no wonder Blockbuster is going under).

I tried it out and it was extremely smooth, granted it was at 3 in the morning. :)

I haven't checked to see if it works for the XBox, Wii or iPhone yet.

Danzerino
Sep. 26th, '10, 1:25 pm
*BUMP*

Just a heads up, Netflix is now available in Canada. They offer a one month free trial membership. You do need a valid credit card to sign up though. The monthly fee is $7.99 (no wonder Blockbuster is going under).

I tried it out and it was extremely smooth, granted it was at 3 in the morning. :)

I haven't checked to see if it works for the XBox, Wii or iPhone yet.

You can also pay with Paypal and yes it works with Wii, iPhone and PS3 currently and will work with Xbox 360 in about a month.

canucksss
Sep. 28th, '10, 12:55 pm
this is good news...... i tried recently with 360 and still give me the answer not available in my area (im now in BC)

GrandmasterB
Sep. 28th, '10, 12:58 pm
I'm thinking about picking up the new Apple TV now that it does rentals for 99 cents and netflix streaming.

Phoenix 2.0
Sep. 28th, '10, 7:24 pm
Cheaper than the USA @ 7.99 per month...

THR: Are you concerned that American Netflix subscribers will look north and ask for the same discount Canadians get at $7.99?

Hastings: How much has it been your experience that Americans follow what happens in the world? It's something we'll monitor, but Americans are somewhat self-absorbed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if1d3902d12574ec222961f1deec0fd2b

OSB
Sep. 28th, '10, 7:32 pm
Interesting commentary from Mr. Hastings.

pixel_archived
Sep. 28th, '10, 11:22 pm
Interesting commentary from Mr. Hastings.

Well they started off very poorly in Canada by paying a bunch of actors to pretend to be excited and also got them to do interviews pretending to be super satisfied customers.

jujimum
Sep. 28th, '10, 11:29 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Canadians don't get discs though do they? If that's the case of course it's going to be cheaper. It's only $2 more to have discs and streaming ;)

pixel_archived
Sep. 28th, '10, 11:49 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Canadians don't get discs though do they? If that's the case of course it's going to be cheaper. It's only $2 more to have discs and streaming ;)

Not that I have seen. To be honest I would bet that we also don't get the full movie catalog that you guys do. I could be wrong but there are a TON of movies that they don't have.

Phoenix 2.0
Sep. 29th, '10, 1:19 pm
but it is a new service and they will be building the library as they go, I almost punched a guy in the face today because he was whining about movie selection... good grief, less than a week and he was expecting 50 million movies to be at his finger tips. I reminded him that it is a free trial and he can cancel anytime, his reply was simply that he was going to give it time!!! that's when I wanted to really punch him in the throat.

let me get this straight:

you are whining about movie selection being limited
you know it's a free trial
you will wait to see what they add?

typical fucktard

"waaaahhhh I want everything now this service sucks ass"

"Cancel anytime"

"oh I don't want to cancel, I just want to complain."

You Suck.

jujimum
Sep. 29th, '10, 1:59 pm
:chuckle: I kind of like "Bitter Rob" :cool:

Piehouse34
Oct. 28th, '10, 10:42 am
I have Netflix for about a year here in the states and absolutely love it. Their catalog of new movies streaming is growing and if you're into tv series then you will be set. Also if you have an Iphone they have a netflix app and you can stream a show/movie right on your phone.

Phoenix 2.0
Nov. 23rd, '10, 12:35 am
The list is growing daily, still not the "Ultimate Selection" but I think in time it will be fine. I have found a few oldies that I absolutely love (The Goonies) and there are others that I meant to see but never got around to it.... now I can catch up on the missed movies while Netflix loads more titles in :thumbup:

Xenogenetic
Nov. 23rd, '10, 10:12 am
How does the TV programming work? Do they show all the major network TV series shortly after they air? If they did I could get rid of our cable service provider for good. I rarely watch TV shows, except Spartacus and Walking Dead these days, but even then I have been downloading. My wife watches all the typical chick shows (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice etc. at nauseum). My kids watch the early teen shows (Hanna Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place etc.).

Do you know if NetFlix picks up these shows? Thanks.

murph
Nov. 23rd, '10, 11:28 am
i just ditched Showtime and Starz (about $24) for Netflix ($8). i signed up for the new streaming only membership. it's pretty cool - love that it tracks what you were watching and can pick up from there on another device, but a little disappointed at the streaming selection. Man on Fire (2004) and The Hangover...disc only? there is still plenty to watch, but i was just a little surprised at what's not on there, especially with all the positive recommendations and press Netflix gets. there is a lot of newer stuff missing, but hopefully they can work out some deals with the studios and get more on there.

jujimum
Nov. 23rd, '10, 11:39 am
but hopefully they can work out some deals with the studios and get more on there.

That's the problem I think. There are too many players and and previous deals. Some of these Cable/Satellite companies are now able to release them for on demand the same day as the DVD is released. That's quite a huge deal there. So if Netflix can get in on that it would be huge.

Phoenix 2.0
Nov. 24th, '10, 12:09 am
How does the TV programming work? Do they show all the major network TV series shortly after they air? If they did I could get rid of our cable service provider for good. I rarely watch TV shows, except Spartacus and Walking Dead these days, but even then I have been downloading. My wife watches all the typical chick shows (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice etc. at nauseum). My kids watch the early teen shows (Hanna Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place etc.).

the easiest way to figure out is to try the free Month and see what the deal is, it is super easy to get rolling and you may find gems that you forgot all about. If you don't see what you want or like anything on the service just cancel and carry on ;)

murph
Nov. 24th, '10, 10:19 am

TV shows generally show up AFTER the particular season is over and the DVD's have been released (ie no Walking Dead until Walking Dead season 1 DVD's hit the store). Hulu Plus offers something closer to what you might be looking for (but without all the movies).

jujimum
Nov. 24th, '10, 12:29 pm
Hulu Plus offers something closer to what you might be looking for (but without all the movies).

Forgot all about that, is it out yet? Can't believe I overlooked it if it is out :(

murph
Nov. 24th, '10, 1:18 pm
yes it is
http://www.hulu.com/plus

jujimum
Nov. 24th, '10, 1:43 pm
yes it is
http://www.hulu.com/plus

Ah, sorry, I meant the 360 version. I was thinking that was what you were talking about. We're supposed to be getting Hulu Plus on the 360.

murph
Nov. 29th, '10, 10:20 am
ahhh...no word on Hulu Plus for XBox. i think they announced it was coming though. maybe Spring 2011 Dashboard Update?

Xenogenetic
Nov. 29th, '10, 2:33 pm
I've had the service for a few days now and am liking it quite a bit. Looking forward to see how frequently movies get added.

OSB
Nov. 29th, '10, 2:50 pm
Just got an email from Netflix saying they were raising the cost of my plan (which includes DVDs). I promptly changed my plan to streaming only.

jujimum
Nov. 29th, '10, 3:09 pm
Yeah, I got that Email last week. I think it was only a $1 for my plan so it was no biggie. What I get out of it is well worth the advance. Can't beat returning a movie and getting the next one no more than 2 days later (send on Monday, have a new one Wednesday).

I have the 2 out plan and streaming of course. I use all of it often enough (although I've had the same two movies sitting in my house for about 2 months now). I think my plan is now $15.95. Not sure.

OSB
Nov. 29th, '10, 3:29 pm
I had the 2 DVDs at a time, unlimited which used to be $16.99/month and got bumped to $17.99 per month. Considering that I've had the same two Blu-Ray discs in my home for about 3 months I took it as a sign that we didn't need the disc option. Unlimited streaming is $7.99 per month. It was an easy decision to make, and these days I like easy decisions. :agree:

Xenogenetic
Nov. 29th, '10, 3:30 pm
I just hope one day I can rid myself of this pesky cable service provider and deal exclusively with NET programming.

OSB
Nov. 29th, '10, 3:42 pm
I just hope one day I can rid myself of this pesky cable service provider and deal exclusively with NET programming.

We're getting close, but we're not there yet. The infrastructure of our system just doesn't support enough speed to allow for it. Look at this chart of where the US system ranks globally:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Ahlissandra/Events/broadbandspeedchart.jpg

Source: Digg - http://digg.com/news/technology/Average_broadband_speed_by_country_graph

Japan and South Korea would have no problems going all-net streaming, and neither would many countries ahead of the US. I'd say the US needs to at least double its download rate if not more, before we can reliably stream from the web.

Sure, I can stream and watch a movie in High Definition now, but I can't play an online game at the same time without losing quality on the movie and causing lag/latency on the game I am playing.

Right now major telecommunications companies are doing everything in their power to regulate traffic over their networks. So long as they can keep charging based on how much data the user downloads we're going to get bent over. The price they charge for unlimited downloads is borderline larceny, and even then we're not getting the speed we should be getting based on price/cost comparison with places like S. Korea and Japan.

The American consumer is so used to being manipulated and screwed that we don't even realize the extent to which we're getting fucked while getting milked for every hard-earned penny.

I know, tell us how I really feel right? :agree:

Phoenix 2.0
Dec. 7th, '10, 2:21 am
I've had the service for a few days now and am liking it quite a bit. Looking forward to see how frequently movies get added.

they just released a fairly decent sized batch this week, working nights has it's advantages sometimes :thumbup:

bones56
Dec. 7th, '10, 6:50 pm
Yeah I recently switched to streaming only. I never got around to watching the movies and they sat there. This way I can stream anything I want and I am not paying the extra charge for blu ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix 2.0
Dec. 9th, '10, 9:26 am
wowza!

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/09/netflix-abc-disney-streaming-deal-will-bring-tv-all-you-can-eat/

those that were on the fence before it may be time to jump off and get on board!

no word about how this will affect Canadian subscribers, but I can't see them blocking us out sompletely.

Maybe the Apple TV isn't just a "hobby" anymore?

Phoenix 2.0
Mar. 29th, '11, 7:09 am
with the recent signing for Paramount and close to a deal with Mirimax expect more top titles to flood in shortly.
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/apple-hardware/netflix-canada-signs-multi-year-deal-with-paramount/

Netflix members in Canada can enjoy theatrical hits from Paramount in the coming months starting with “The Last Airbender” and Marvel’s “Iron Man 2.” The five year agreement will add over 350 new movies available to watch instantly from Netflix in Canada, including epics like “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Titanic,” and “Defiance,” great comedies like “Zoolander” and “Wayne’s World,” and beloved classics like “The African Queen,” “Sabrina” (1954) and “Terms of Endearment.”

“We are committed to constantly expanding our selection of top new movies and TV shows for our Canadian members,” said Ted Sarandos, Netflix chief content officer. “This agreement will allow them to watch some of the latest hit Paramount films as well as an incredible range of the studio’s recent and classic favorites anytime they want. Netflix and Paramount enjoy a great relationship and are proud to bring such a terrific array of films to Netflix members in Canada.”

I got this mail last night:

Dear Robert,

Starting today, watching movies & TV shows in Canada will use 2/3 less data on average with minimal impact to video quality. For example, watching 30 hours of Netflix movies & TV shows will only use 9 GB of data, well below most Canadian ISP data caps. Previously, 30 hours from Netflix typically used 31 GB.

Why the change? We know that many of our Canadian members have monthly Internet data caps. This new default account setting will significantly reduce the amount of data Netflix delivers to you each month.

You now also have the ability to manage how much data Netflix delivers to you. Visit Your Account to adjust your settings anytime you want. Regardless of which setting you choose –– Netflix is still only $7.99 a month.

As always, we will continue to innovate and try new things to ensure Netflix is a great experience without high data use. If you have any questions, please call us at 1-866-923-1277.

–Your friends at Netflix

that is very cool IMO, especially for folks that have caps.

jujimum
Jul. 12th, '11, 3:30 pm
Netflix now sucks. Forget everything nice I've said about them. I just got this Email:

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

Two things. 1) My "unlimited DVDs" is 1 out at a time, unlimited amount per month though. 2) 7.99 for streaming??? I hope they plan on adding a ton of stuff. I'm so pissed I might actually drop it altogether. Considering I've had one DVD for about 3 months now....I don't use it all that much.

bones56
Jul. 12th, '11, 3:59 pm
that sucks, i have been on the streaming only plan for 7.99. I hate it when i watch say 2 seasons of a show and then to realize that season 3 and 4 is disc only!!

TommyNuGuns
Jul. 12th, '11, 6:39 pm
I have the 1 DVD and streaming plan as well. I also tend to hang onto the DVDs for way to long. I'd hate to drop the DVD plan since some shows don't have the streaming option. With the extra cost I may to need to be a little more proactive in returning the DVDs.

sent from my Evo 4G using tapatalk

CSampson
Jul. 12th, '11, 6:42 pm
that sucks, i have been on the streaming only plan for 7.99. I hate it when i watch say 2 seasons of a show and then to realize that season 3 and 4 is disc only!!

Have you seen Netflix in Canada?

Ugh!

Then again, I blame our telecommunications industry, the CRTC and the disgusting monopolies and gross misuse of our Internet infrastructure.

Absolute fucking joke.

muscleyarms83
Jul. 12th, '11, 7:42 pm
I've been told that there's a way to get the Netflix USA in Canada, but that it's not quite kosher. I've been thinking about trying it, but I'm also one who stopped downloading music when Limewire went under because I'm paranoid about lawsuits. I've heard some of you Yanks bitch about the overall content of Netflix, but I do know that several of my favourite shows are available on the American version, where it is RARE that a good movie even appears on Netflix Canada.

DrugMonkeyRX
Jul. 12th, '11, 7:45 pm

That happened to me with Sons of Anarchy, i was pretty pissed about it.

pixel_archived
Jul. 12th, '11, 7:46 pm
Have you seen Netflix in Canada?

Ugh!

Then again, I blame our telecommunications industry, the CRTC and the disgusting monopolies and gross misuse of our Internet infrastructure.

Absolute fucking joke.

I give this my "post of the year" award.

BleedBlueBlood
Jul. 12th, '11, 7:51 pm
Yeah, don't waste the money. It's crap.

DrugMonkeyRX
Jul. 12th, '11, 7:58 pm
Time to short netflix...lol

jujimum
Jul. 22nd, '11, 3:54 pm
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2011/7/21/dcee2ff8-8f71-43cc-b9bc-9998ca5049f1_thumb.jpeg

Drake
Jul. 22nd, '11, 4:28 pm
Pigs! :)

i canceled my Netflix right before they raised the price just because i was tired of not having any new releases available for a month. So now if want to watch something ill just watch it on on-demand and not have to wait.

jujimum
Jul. 22nd, '11, 4:34 pm
I have until September to decide I think. I don't know what I'm going to do. I kind of liked Amazon Prime but what I liked about Netflix was I could watch it all on my TV. Amazon Prime I'd have to get a Roku or something ($99 for the one I'd want). Amazon Prime is $80/year.

I don't know. I have OnDemand as well but it's somewhat limited for some things. I just wish Amazon Prime was on the 360/PS3/Wii. Would be nice.

Oh yeah, buying a Roku, I'd have to buy 2 so I could watch in different rooms too. Not sure if the HD version would work on standard TV. Didn't look too much into it because $99-200 is quite a bit of an initial investment for a product I don't know a whole lot about. Looking at that Amazon prime site was bit clustered.

You do get cheaper shipping and even Free 2-day shipping on everything though along with the TV and movie stuff. But it looked like a lot of the movies still cost from what I briefly saw.

DrugMonkeyRX
Sep. 1st, '11, 6:49 pm
Time to short netflix...lol
^ stock closed at 296

"But those hopes were dashed, if not blown up completely, with the Thursday bombshell dropped by Starz CEO Chris Albrecht. He said Starz had decided to pull out of Netflix deal at the end of February "to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content." He also indicated that Starz, part of Liberty Media Corp., believes it could get more money for its content through other outlets."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Talks-on-Starz-deal-unravel-apf-3993365441.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

I should of listened to myself...lol

Down to 213.

jujimum
Sep. 1st, '11, 8:48 pm
Sorry for you, but "ha ha" to Netflix. Bastards.

I already dropped some of my services and now I have until March to find a better streaming service. There are many out there but I want one that will work with my consoles and any smart devices.

DrugMonkeyRX
Sep. 1st, '11, 8:53 pm
Sorry for you, but "ha ha" to Netflix. Bastards.

I already dropped some of my services and now I have until March to find a better streaming service. There are many out there but I want one that will work with my consoles and any smart devices.

let me know what you decide on. If there is something better out there i would def switch up. Ill give netflix one thing, its great for kid shows.

jujimum
Sep. 1st, '11, 9:01 pm
let me know what you decide on. If there is something better out there i would def switch up. Ill give netflix one thing, its great for kid shows.

Defintely. I've used it a lot this week :rofl:

I started researching it back when Netflix made it's announcement. I like their streaming content right now but want to make a switch. It's funny, I went from really wanting to work at Netflix to hating them though. I'll let you know though if I come up with anything.

Amazon Plus looked like it had a lot of content but a lot of it was paid rentals as well. It has the added benefit of free shipping (cheaper 2-day) which is good because I use Amazon a lot. But at $80/year I'd want more free stuff. The site is absolutely horrible to try and find anything. That was another area that Netflix excelled.

muscleyarms83
Sep. 3rd, '11, 8:47 am
Not that I'd give it 5 stars or anything, but this past week's new releases on Netflix Canada give me some faith that better movies are coming. This week they added Megamind, the A-Team, Kindergarten Cop, some other stuff that I can't think of off-hand, and fairly recently they added the full run of the Boondocks, which I never gave a chance before Netflix but now am in the middle of watching the whole run because it's so funny.

While the film selection is getting gradually better, it's the TV selection that keeps me with Netflix. I dont watch many shows when they are on the air, so when multiple shows I'm interested in appear on Netflix for catching up, it works for me. Next up for me is figuring out what all that Heroes nonsense was about.

And there's definitely no shortage of kids' TV shows on there.

jujimum
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:21 pm
Well, DM, again...I'm sorry. But I am laughing again. The main reason isn't the price hike, but it was their arrogant attitudes towards the hike. I do understand that prices would need to increase in order to compete and get more selection. But they were so cocky about the price increase saying things like they'll lose some members sure, but most of our customers will stay so this new plan isn't a big deal.

I want to hear what they have to say now that the "few" customers have spoken:

http://money.msn.com/stock-broker-guided/article.aspx?post=afc3df4b-e0be-4733-9914-1f672adb8088&gt1=33031

Netflix (NFLX) stock got slammed Thursday -- closing at $169.25, off 18.9% -- after the company announced its dual-pricing model has scared off more customers than expected

Netflix had estimated it would wind up with about 3 million DVD-only subscribers and 10 million streaming-only customers. But the real numbers are smaller -- much smaller -- and that could really mess up any of Netflix's plans to improve its video library.

No wonder the stock is tanking, and competitors like Amazon (AMZN) and Apple (AAPL), who have been beefing up their own streaming video services, smell blood in the water.

And no wonder Netflix investors are running for cover.

So what's next for streaming-video fans who use the iconic company to consume their favorite reruns or older movies? Probably not much. Netflix has the scale and brand recognition to maintain a foothold as the dominant provider of movies and TV shows that are a few years old.

If you're a big fan of new releases and the latest cable TV sitcoms, however, you could be in for more disappointment as content providers tighten the noose on Netflix and let-down subscribers head for the hills.

:rofl:

DrugMonkeyRX
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:29 pm
I would of made a killing on the short side..LOL Dammit!

OSB
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:35 pm
I still have the streaming only subscription, my kids watch a lot of old school cartoons and stuff. Well worth it. If I used the service myself (instead of my kids) I would have dumped them a long time ago.

muscleyarms83
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:35 pm
Phew! Good thing I'm only using it to watch Quantum Leap right now.

jujimum
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:38 pm
I dumped it for streaming only. Still plan on dumping it completely now that they're losing more companies.

muscleyarms83
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:40 pm
Now that Xbox is offering a "Reel Deal" every week where you can rent a new release for 90 MP, I may end up going that way too. Right after I make sure Scott Bakula is okay.

pixel_archived
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:42 pm
I still don't understand why there is this middle man. Why the movie companies/studios don't just create their own online distribution system. It isn't that difficult to set up a site dedicated to that and charge a fee either per movie or per month like Netflix currently does. You can advertise your other films all over the place, throw in commercials at the beginning like they do anyway in the theater.

You can go to almost any network TV site and watch some/most of their shows online now... why is the movie industry so so so so far behind?

Netflix is only a stop-gap IMO. Someone will figure it out and we won't have all these Hulu and Netfilx and various sites.

jujimum
Sep. 15th, '11, 5:48 pm
pixel, my guess is because right now the studios have these service sites PAYING THEM to host and deal with distribution. That's an uneducated guess but basically places like Netflix are buying the "rights" and the having to provide servers, maintenance, etc. I don't know. I agree it would be ideal.

I like the idea of pay-per-view like you mentioned, but I also like one-stop shopping for things like TV shows. I don't know if I want to have to look a bunch of places for my viewing.

So far, my limited research shows Amazon as the closest to what we're both wanting. They have PPV and included programming with their service.

OSB
Sep. 15th, '11, 7:10 pm
I still don't understand why there is this middle man. Why the movie companies/studios don't just create their own online distribution system. It isn't that difficult to set up a site dedicated to that and charge a fee either per movie or per month like Netflix currently does. You can advertise your other films all over the place, throw in commercials at the beginning like they do anyway in the theater.

You can go to almost any network TV site and watch some/most of their shows online now... why is the movie industry so so so so far behind?

Netflix is only a stop-gap IMO. Someone will figure it out and we won't have all these Hulu and Netfilx and various sites.

Agreed. MotoGP for example offers HD streams of all MotoGP races. No interruptions, no commercials, no having to listen to the douchebags on Speed TV. But then again, I already pay for TV, and the MotoGP season pass is fairly expensive, so in this particular case I don't want to "double pay".

It is however a good example of the direct to the consumer model that you describe. If I couldn't get any MotoGP coverage anywhere else I'd consider paying for it. Same with The Tour de France. Could have bought direct internet HD stream for that as well, instead of having to watch that pathetic commercial-riddled excuse of a tour program they offered on Versus. We'd get to see 3 minutes of cycling, followed by 4 minutes of studio commentary, followed by another 3 minutes of commercials. It translated to something like 30% of the time spent in front of the TV to watch The Tour we got to see actual cycling. The rest was studio bullshit and commercials.

Sometime in the near future I won't be paying for satellite TV anymore. I'll just purchase content online and stream it in HD. And I'll pay a premium to not have to watch commercials either. There's like 4 things/channels/events I'd subscribe to: UFC/MMA, NHL, HBO and MotoGP. The missus can catch up on all her reality TV on Hulu or whatever the networks have out there. Dang, I'm going to have to look into how much money I'd save if I went this route once my contract is up with DirecTV. :agree:

You got me thinkin' Pixel! Thank you. :awe:

And Jujimum, I'm with you in that it'd be nice if we could get a centralized service provider to make it easy to find/purchase content, but then we're dealing with a "middle man" again. It could definitely work if it were done right though.

jujimum
Sep. 15th, '11, 7:46 pm
And Jujimum, I'm with you in that it'd be nice if we could get a centralized service provider to make it easy to find/purchase content, but then we're dealing with a "middle man" again. It could definitely work if it were done right though.

Well, I'm different than you guys in that I'd rather deal with that. I'd much rather go through a service than to have an account with Sony, Disney, Touchstone, whatever. Netflix was awesome and I absolutely loved them. They needed more streaming of course, but they WERE headed in the right direction. I had no problems with them. There's always exclusivity issues which suck. So I'd rather have a service like Netflix than to pay a little here, there, everywhere.

OSB
Sep. 15th, '11, 7:48 pm
Its definitely more convenient, and easier to track in terms of finances as well. This way we're also giving personal data only to one company, rather than however many we choose to buy content from. Like I said, there are definitely advantages. :agree:

jujimum
Sep. 19th, '11, 11:18 am
How odd that we talk about having two services/accounts for something and Netflix, still being idiots, is now doing just that. At least the CEO admitted he was arrogant ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44576196/ns/business-us_business/t/netflix-split-dvd-streaming-services?GT1=43001

Netflix Inc is separating its movie streaming business and its DVD by mail service, which will be called Qwikster, Chief Executive Reed Hastings said in a company blog post.

Hastings assured there would be no pricing changes and members who subscribe to both services would have two entries on their credit card statements, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total amount would be the same as the current charges.

It's a risky bet. The amount of streaming content the company offers is still far less than the number of DVDs in its catalog. And competition, from Hulu, Amazon, Coinstar's Redbox kiosks and other services, is growing.

Hastings also said it will add "substantial" streaming content in the next few months, and reassured that there are no more pricing changes.

Sounds like someone trying to keep people from fleeing in my opinion. What these people usually call "substantial", I typically think, "meh." So he'll have to really blow my mind for it to be what I call substantial.

In his blog, Hastings said he "slid into arrogance based upon past success"

Yeah, I took that out of context and didn't include the whole sentence. I think it looks better this way :razz:

jujimum
Sep. 19th, '11, 4:58 pm
I just got the Email from the guy above :rofl: It's so lame. The Email makes it sound so personal and apologetic. In other words, this Email is supposed to make up for the "cold" Email sent of the price changes.

Much of it was I already posted and linked to, but it starts off with:

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

He The Email then goes on to talk about how "he" is upset with the changes that have to be made and will miss the Netflix envelope but will adjust to the new logo being on the red envelope.

Awwwww, how sincere. I feel bad now and think I should sign up for the DVD thing now. I didn't realize how much this was affecting him. I'm an ass for doing this to him. Shame on me. I just hope his kids, if he has any, are still able to eat.

DrugMonkeyRX
Sep. 19th, '11, 5:12 pm
WOW, this stock may break 100 in the comming months after reading that statement.

DrugMonkeyRX
Oct. 25th, '11, 12:58 pm
WOW, this stock may break 100 in the comming months after reading that statement.

NFLX drops 40 pts..lol

Stock is now at 78.

jujimum
Oct. 25th, '11, 1:00 pm
Yeah, I didn't post the article because I really didn't want to continue beating a dying horse :rofl:

They lost 800,000 subscribers and are projecting more losses. *EDIT* That's 800,000 in the last 3 months.

http://money.msn.com/how-to-invest/article.aspx?post=adbf739e-2f2c-418c-a40c-f9e8d19f82e5

Latdogg
Oct. 25th, '11, 10:57 pm
Wow, I'm not so upset now that I can't have Netflix here in Korea. I'm glad I dropped that service.

muscleyarms83
Nov. 20th, '11, 4:49 pm
Here's something that might sweeten the pot a little for Netflix suubscribers (probably not the Canadian ones):

http://tv.ign.com/articles/121/1212963p1.html