PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2K9 demo availiable on XBLM

Danzerino
Aug. 21st, '08, 8:40 am
It is out I am downloading it right now, hopefully the 09 demo comes out today also.

OldTimeHockey
Aug. 21st, '08, 8:50 am
Great. Good to know, thanks.

Danzerino
Aug. 21st, '08, 9:20 am
Great. Good to know, thanks.

Np OTH playing it right now.

Bartsy
Aug. 21st, '08, 9:57 am
Thanks Mike, downloading now.

OldTimeHockey
Aug. 21st, '08, 10:41 am
Well guys????? Post some thoughts for us poor saps stuck at work.

Bartsy
Aug. 21st, '08, 10:45 am
I wasn't very impressed at all with the demo. It just seems like they release the same product over and over with a little touch up on the graphics.

Just the way the players move and everything does not seem like hockey to me. Little things like not being able to step into your wrist shot. EA is light years ahead of this game as far as I'm concerned.

Danzerino
Aug. 21st, '08, 10:51 am
I agree with Bartlett graphics are really bad compared to NHL 09, the game play is not good at all so are the announcers. The wrist shot is really unrealistic

I don't think that I will buy this game.

Jeffrey99
Aug. 21st, '08, 10:59 am
While I'll agree the game is no where near what 09 should be or even 08, it's still tons better then 2k8. They really need a massive overhaul though on the skating animations and graphics. They both just look really bad.

Jepockn
Aug. 21st, '08, 12:56 pm
I agree with Bartlett graphics are really bad compared to NHL 09, the game play is not good at all so are the announcers. The wrist shot is really unrealistic

I don't think that I will buy this game.

is there announcers in the 360 demo?

Vega
Aug. 21st, '08, 2:51 pm
Did they at least change the buttons?

Why is 2k so against copying EA? EA did it correctly. It's time to stop being hard-headed, get a similar control scheme, and work on all the other problems this game has.

I've got the demo downloaded, and I'll certainly play it. But I'm not really looking forward to it. So weird considering the fanboyish ways I once had toward 2k.

caniacfan86
Aug. 21st, '08, 3:48 pm
I think their is a control scheme similar to EA... I believe its the pro stick evolution.. At least thats what I heard from the other site

Danzerino
Aug. 21st, '08, 3:56 pm
I think their is a control scheme similar to EA... I believe its the pro stick evolution.. At least thats what I heard from the other site

That is correct there is one called pro stick evolution which they copied from EA.

DrugMonkeyRX
Aug. 21st, '08, 4:07 pm
i heard from a few people the gameplay is horrible.

caniacfan86
Aug. 21st, '08, 4:10 pm
Heard that from a bunch of people also that the guys do not look their actual selfs. Also that the gameplay and the animations are not up to standard like ea's are...I heard that the only difference was that I believe that right bumper was to check instead of the right stick

NfldTim
Aug. 21st, '08, 4:15 pm
I played the demo for a few minutes. I wasnt impressed at all. Even with the new pro evo controls. The game just looks bad, the players anyways, and the controls still feel awful. Only thing I liked about the demo, was the sweet intro.

DrugMonkeyRX
Aug. 21st, '08, 4:23 pm
2k9 spends all of its time making nice intros...lol then throws up a big turd for gameplay...Makes ZERO sense. Whoever is in charge there should be put thru a meat grinder.

OSB
Aug. 21st, '08, 5:16 pm
2k9 spends all of its time making nice intros...lol then throws up a big turd for gameplay...Makes ZERO sense.

Thats actually pretty typical for North American culture: lots of emphasis on "show" and "bling", but not enough attention to actual product/service quality. If gimmicks are needed to sell something, odds are the product isn't all that great to start with (or the pricing is way off).

Quality sells itself.

CSampson
Aug. 21st, '08, 6:23 pm
There is no announcer in the 360 demo, so it would be impossible to comment on those. The demo was meh, The Pro Stick Evolution is really sluggish and not as responsive as what I'm used to in 08. I also don't like that the speed burst is on the A button, because it requires me to remove my finger from the control stick. The buttons work a bit better, but then you don't have precise aim. The Hybrid works okay, but it can get kind of confusing. Also the passing seems a bit whacked to me, I'll aim up to headman the puck but the guy will pass it to the right.

Kerrzy
Aug. 21st, '08, 6:58 pm
I dont even want to download this game now, i dont like the sounds of what you guys are saying, dang i was actually excited to have 2 GOOD hockey games, Looks like 09 for me, again this year

Jonezy48
Aug. 21st, '08, 7:20 pm
I think it is a peice of Crap.

Fiddy
Aug. 21st, '08, 8:06 pm
i have been a huuuge 2k hockey series fan from the start. but ea made me change my mind the past 2 years with great games in 07,08 and from the looks 09. but the 2k demo does show ME they heading back in right direction. they seem to be going back to the basics with game play and thats ok in my book. kush really killed this game over the past few years. now that VC is back i have hope. the graphics took 12 steps backwards with the players, jerseys etc. arenas always look sharp. the main player faces look ok, the 3rd and 4th liners are where it gets brutal lol.. although ea is the same way. star players etc look great in the face then the other guys with a generic face.

IMO we will have to solid hockey games to play this year, just play the one that suits you best.

a HUUUUGE plus for me is that 2k copied ea's controls, so it will be so easy to go back and forth now.. thank you VC for that!!

Jepockn
Aug. 21st, '08, 8:32 pm
i agree with you fiddy. i dont think 2k9 is that bad. it feels decent for gameplay but graphics are off. since VC only took over halfway i would imagine that if theres a 2k10.. it will be a huge leap in everything

Jeffrey99
Aug. 21st, '08, 9:07 pm
i have been a huuuge 2k hockey series fan from the start. but ea made me change my mind the past 2 years with great games in 07,08 and from the looks 09. but the 2k demo does show ME they heading back in right direction. they seem to be going back to the basics with game play and thats ok in my book. kush really killed this game over the past few years. now that VC is back i have hope. the graphics took 12 steps backwards with the players, jerseys etc. arenas always look sharp. the main player faces look ok, the 3rd and 4th liners are where it gets brutal lol.. although ea is the same way. star players etc look great in the face then the other guys with a generic face.

IMO we will have to solid hockey games to play this year, just play the one that suits you best.

a HUUUUGE plus for me is that 2k copied ea's controls, so it will be so easy to go back and forth now.. thank you VC for that!!
I agree it's a huge improvement over 2k8(which I hated). But compared to 08 or what we expect 09 to be like, I don't think it's close. I compare 2k8 like NHL 07, where the changes are in the right direction but it just wasn't enough. Other then the game intro's (which I'm guessing are the same every game and by game 10 you'll be button smashing to get past it) and Rick Nash being on the cover, there isn't anything that makes me want to buy 2k9 over 09.
Overall a step in the right direction though.

Kerrzy
Aug. 21st, '08, 10:54 pm
i agree with you fiddy. i dont think 2k9 is that bad. it feels decent for gameplay but graphics are off. since VC only took over halfway i would imagine that if theres a 2k10.. it will be a huge leap in everything

I`m still in if you decide on making a league :bow:

OldTimeHockey
Aug. 22nd, '08, 9:17 am
I wish I hadn't played that.....I was not impressed or pleased. I didn't buy 2K8 because I could see the series going downhill. I believe you when you guys say this is better than last years, but I dunno, I wasn't too thrilled with the new controls, the old controls, not being able to see Pittsburgh's goal clearly, etc.

Xenogenetic
Aug. 22nd, '08, 10:12 am
LOL.....c'mon lads, I mean I haven't even played it yet but there alot of guys that were going to be negative towards this game regardless of what they put out unless it was almost identical to the EA game. I am willing to bet that saying it's crap is a huge overstatement. I'd get both if I had the time but I am on the EA bandwagon for now when it comes to hockey.

OldTimeHockey
Aug. 22nd, '08, 10:45 am
Try the demo Xeno and then get back to us.

I was a big 2K hockey fanboy before EA did their overhaul, so I do know how to seperate the two. they were great back when Jeremy Roenick was on the cover. My statement still stands.

SkatingPenguin
Aug. 22nd, '08, 2:44 pm
I played the demo last night and I could only really stand playing 4-5 times. I thought the control stick thing was pretty cool but similar to EA and less responsive. I naturally played as the Penguins and can only control the team going down. I didn't quite get the controls at first but it got a little better. In my opinion the graphics suck. Sure the intro is cool and all but the players look like robots out there. There is little different between a player and goalie except for the mask. The players look like they have robocop shoulder pads. I got on a break away with Malkin and held down the "A" button but I couldnt do any special moves - that is probably I dont know what Im doing.

Just for the fun of it I tried another game using the evil Red Wings to see what skating up felt like as if I was playing EA and I found it easier. I had a couple breakaways and just shot high glove and scored.

Im not impressed with this at all. I think EA's hockey destroys this one.

Oh and to show how unrealistic this is, Hal Gill scored a goal......a slapshot laser beam.... LOL

Fiddy
Aug. 22nd, '08, 9:05 pm
Oh and to show how unrealistic this is, Hal Gill scored a goal......a slapshot laser beam.... LOL

must have missed the one he scored against the Flyers late in the season? :)

lets go pens!!

Kiddstyle
Aug. 22nd, '08, 10:07 pm
I'm on the fence. I may be one of the biggest 2k8 fans and I felt somewhat let down at first. The more I play it, the more I like it. This is my opinion from the demo.

Defensive Controls
The defensive controls have taken a step back from 2k8 and even 2k7. I thought 2k7 had it nailed down and 2k8's weren't bad. It just seems weird compared to 2k8, or even 2k7. I sometimes hit the wrong buttons and have to relearn the controls for the third time in three years

Your player stops skating when moving the stick side to side when skating backwards. I am not sure why the hell they changed their strongest feature and made it shitty. Shame on you 2k. You used to be able to skate backwards and have your stick out to the side and angle the defender away from the net or force them to take a low percentage shot. Now you have a two handed poke check or put your stick out and stop skating. This allows the offensive player to skate right by you.

Shooting
I am enjoying the hybrid controls more and more as I play the demo more. The players lift their legs slightly when taking wristers and the slapshots are pretty powerful and nice, but I feel like pressing the buttons are more responsive and more powerful over the stick when taking shots. I have yet to get off a good one-timer to see what that is like.

Skating
The skating is way above last year's and probably the highlight for me. Once I can tweak the sliders, I will be in skating heaven. They took an EA approach to skating and it feels better. Player turn in a more realistic manner and cross over their feet when skating at an angle. It looks nice, but the camera angle makes it hard to see what it really looks like.

Deking
The deking sucks. Last year you had 360 degrees of control with the stick, this year the player stops skating when using the stick and it even looks like the old protect the puck that 2k used to have. Maybe there is a way to keep skating while using the stick, but I haven't seen it yet. This is a step backwards, way back.

I think they should have used a modifier for shooting with the stick and without a modifier, it should give you the 360 degree control.

Checking
The checking animations are amazing. The bumps and checks look very realistic and there are a ton of animations. This sucked ass last year and needed to be addressed.

AI
This is another thing that VC just knows how to do. AI is really good, but needs work. Program realistic AI. There are things that need to be fixed for 2k10, like players trying to gain the zone when there are defenders in their face. Dump that puck over the player and chase it!

Overall
I think VC will put this game where it should be next year. This year's edition could be nice, but it seems like a stepping stone for things to come. They have to lay the groundwork for the future of the game before they can take it to another level.

I will buy this game because I like what 2ksports is trying to do and I like to support the little guy. Hopefully this game brings back some fans and add some casual fans and can come back stronger than it has ever been. EA needs competition!

On another rant, I hate the camera angle. This parametric crap gets better each year, but it sometimes makes it hard to see what the hell is going on. They should give people an option for the camera angle in the demo. I seriously wonder about the management over there at 2ksports sometimes. Whoever runs the show over there for the hockey series should be fired.

So while they addressed some issues, they seem to have created new ones, mostly with the defensive controls and the deking. Hopefully the final build fixes some of these issues, but I doubt it.

If I had to rate the demo, I would give it a 6. I find that sports demos usually suck and this one doesn't do anything to change that.

slow elk
Aug. 24th, '08, 11:59 am
The demo was a really big disappointment. I thought I was gonna love it. I played it quite a bit trying to find something. You can change the controls on the demo out of the classic setting. I liked the team intro and I actually like the view. But the gameplay lacked in a ton of areas and the graphics were horrible. i'm gonna continue playing it though.

OldTimeHockey
Aug. 24th, '08, 7:38 pm
Yeah, my first impression about the demo was this is crap. But the more I thought about it, the more I figured the full retail version can't be so bad because you will be able to change things to your liking, like manual shooting and the camera angles and whatnot. I think I will give it a second chance when it comes out, but will probably stick to the classic controls so as to not confuse the two hockey titles. One game should be played one way and the other another way.