PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2K9 Demo

Kiddstyle
Aug. 13th, '08, 3:50 pm
http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181602

Looks like PS3 gets it tomorrow. 360 is waiting for MS certification.

Jepockn
Aug. 13th, '08, 4:35 pm
cool stuff.. good think i have both systems.. i have also heard a rumor that most games are now mainly being focused for the ps3 and then being ported to the 360 but im not sure if thats true

Kerrzy
Aug. 13th, '08, 4:55 pm
hopefully the xbox one comes soon, itching to play it

Jepockn
Aug. 13th, '08, 5:06 pm
i wonder why Microsoft takes so long for certifications?

striker3771
Aug. 13th, '08, 5:09 pm
I'll give it a spin tomorrow on the PS.

Kerrzy
Aug. 13th, '08, 5:27 pm

Who knows, you think they get paid enough for what they do. It's all a scam :)

jujimum
Aug. 13th, '08, 5:31 pm

A long time ago some of us actually got to talk to one of the Links developers. This was original Xbox obviously. But back then he said it took 10 day of rigorous testing before they'd allow anything onto the network. He had many reasons why and I can't remember all of them, but they have a bunch of standards that need to be met before they pass. This of course prevented any problems.

Even a simple patch has to pass their certification so it doesn't make the game unplayable. I, for one, am happy they do it. I'd hate to get a patch and then have to get a patch to patch the patch :p

pixel_archived
Aug. 13th, '08, 5:46 pm
I'd hate to get a patch and then have to get a patch to patch the patch :p

That's no joke. I have downloaded patches for a game on the PC that broke the game and had to wait for the new patch to fix what the old patch broke. Unbelievable that sort of thing can happen.

Anyways, I will definitely be downloading the 2k demo. The fighting alone is enough of a reason.

CSampson
Aug. 13th, '08, 6:48 pm
The first sign that hockey season is close...the NHL demos! I hope MS comes out really soon, and then in about a week the 09 one should be out. Can't wait! Will probably pick up both games anyways.

OSB
Aug. 14th, '08, 11:15 am
Going to download it on the PS3 tonight to give it a whirl.

Jepockn
Aug. 14th, '08, 12:34 pm
i checked a few hours ago and nothing is up yet by the way

Kiddstyle
Aug. 14th, '08, 3:04 pm
It's up now for PS3.

Jepockn
Aug. 14th, '08, 4:59 pm
i am downloading it now.. i will take a few videos for you guys

Jeffrey99
Aug. 14th, '08, 7:47 pm
+ New controls: Pro stick Evolution is pretty much a copy off 08. No more need to hit a additional button plus the right thumb stick to shoot.
+ New intro was pretty cool. But I'm guessing it's the same video every game? So after 40 home games you'll be jamming on the X or A(360) button?

- I dislike the fact that you are using classic or hybrid controls, you have to hold the shoot button to do a slap shot. But the guy won't bring the stick up to shoot till after you let go of the button. This may be a useless complaint as I really don't remember how to shoot a slap shot using Pro Evolution controls.

- Players: God they look terrible. Goalies look like hunchback version of Scott Steiner. The skaters don't look...right either. They aren't terrible, just no way to confuse 2k9 with a real game on tv. Just doesn't look that good.

- Why must every poke check/sweeping stick be with two hands? Just looks stupid. Looks like the dudes practicing his golf swing.

Overall pleasently surprised with the demo. May have to atleast give it a rent. To be honest, I don't think it can compete with 09. But give VC(that's who took over correct?) a couple more years and I think 2k's hockey game could be as good as it's basketball.

pixel_archived
Aug. 14th, '08, 8:12 pm
Thanks for the run down Jeffrey. Did you get into a fight at all? Wondering how it feels.

Jepockn
Aug. 14th, '08, 8:19 pm
i have a video being uploaded currently on youtube for you guys to watch.. its a pretty big file around 900 mb or so

Jeffrey99
Aug. 14th, '08, 8:34 pm
Thanks for the run down Jeffrey. Did you get into a fight at all? Wondering how it feels.

Nope. Couldn't seem to figure out how to do it. But of course I also don't know the teams enough to know who each teams enforcers are. So maybe it only works if each enforcer checks each other. Not sure.

Jepockn
Aug. 14th, '08, 11:44 pm
alright finally my video got uploaded of the demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05rUs_TNAHM

infrb
Aug. 14th, '08, 11:49 pm
+ New controls: Pro stick Evolution is pretty much a copy off 08. No more need to hit a additional button plus the right thumb stick to shoot.
+ New intro was pretty cool. But I'm guessing it's the same video every game? So after 40 home games you'll be jamming on the X or A(360) button?

- I dislike the fact that you are using classic or hybrid controls, you have to hold the shoot button to do a slap shot. But the guy won't bring the stick up to shoot till after you let go of the button. This may be a useless complaint as I really don't remember how to shoot a slap shot using Pro Evolution controls.

- Players: God they look terrible. Goalies look like hunchback version of Scott Steiner. The skaters don't look...right either. They aren't terrible, just no way to confuse 2k9 with a real game on tv. Just doesn't look that good.

- Why must every poke check/sweeping stick be with two hands? Just looks stupid. Looks like the dudes practicing his golf swing.

Overall pleasently surprised with the demo. May have to atleast give it a rent. To be honest, I don't think it can compete with 09. But give VC(that's who took over correct?) a couple more years and I think 2k's hockey game could be as good as it's basketball.

I think the poke checking with two hands might be due to using Sharks players for their player modeling. Ron Wilson worked with the Sharks on two handed poke checks in their practices. This was to prevent any holding, tripping penalties. It looks pretty retarded and feels weird, but it makes for a more disciplined team.

You might ask what the Sharks have to do with it. The 2K/VC studio is located in Novato, CA which is in the northern bay area. So the local team is San Jose (about an hour away).

striker3771
Aug. 15th, '08, 12:07 am
Great vid Kaabik. How long did it take to download the demo?

Jepockn
Aug. 15th, '08, 12:12 am
Great vid Kaabik. How long did it take to download the demo?

took probably close to an hour and a half lol

striker3771
Aug. 15th, '08, 12:16 am
took probably close to an hour and a half lol

Oh God. :puke: Thanks.

Jepockn
Aug. 15th, '08, 2:14 am
heres another video of the demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thrJhHNqQkY

Fiddy
Aug. 17th, '08, 9:09 am

if you are using the hybrid controls, you can still use the R-Stick to shoot. just like if you were using the evolution controls. its kinda like ea, you can use classic controls but still use the R-Stick to shoot and check...

CSampson
Aug. 18th, '08, 10:50 pm
Any word when this is comin to the 360?

caniacfan86
Aug. 19th, '08, 7:18 am
I read somewhere that it would be out this week... But do not get your hopes up with microsoft