PDA

View Full Version : Fiscal Report Absence Suggests End Of NHL 2K Series

Jepockn
Jan. 5th, '10, 9:26 pm
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177400

EA's acclaimed NHL (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3171511) franchise may soon be the only hockey game on the block. NHL 2K (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3171048) failed to appear on Take Two's recent Q4 fiscal report, suggesting that the franchise will soon be axed (via Pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/12/18/nhl-2k-ommision-may-be-sign-of-cancelation)). Asked about the absence, 2K Sports' Bryan Lam told Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5429919/nhl-2ks-absence-from-take+two-report-may-mean-its-end), "We are currently in the process of evaluating our sports portfolio and have not announced any new NHL titles at this time."
The list does include the next games in the MLB 2K (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3170145) and NBA 2K (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3171481) franchises. Seems like NHL 2K is the lone absentee from 2K's sports lineup.
The most recent 2K Sports series to bite the dust was College Hoops 2K (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3163395), which ended its run at College Hoops 2K8. The most recent entry in the NHL 2K series was released back in September.
Hockey fans, would you be sad to see the end of NHL 2K? Or are you content with EA's NHL series?

Synyster Diablo
Jan. 5th, '10, 10:59 pm
Not surprised and can't say I'm crushed... I haven't purchased any NHL 2K games in years and the way they were going I wasn't planning on it anyways... Too bad there wasn't another company to give EA some serious competition and release a decent alternative...

Jeffrey99
Jan. 6th, '10, 8:39 am
Honestly, this would suck. I really liked 2k10 and thought NHL 10 was complete garbage. So if this is true, then I won't be buying a hockey game on release day next year. I think baseball and football has shown us what no competition does for sports games.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 6th, '10, 9:03 am
Not surprised and can't say I'm crushed... I haven't purchased any NHL 2K games in years and the way they were going I wasn't planning on it anyways... Too bad there wasn't another company to give EA some serious competition and release a decent alternative...
total agreement here, I haven't owned/rented or even downloaded a demo from 2K Sports in a LONG time.

Not having competition would suck but in all fairness the EA NHL is on the right path and I doubt they will be complacent when it comes to delivering a solid product.

hard to say that this is a complete shock considering the financial times we are in and the fact that Take Two has had it's share of "issues" lately.

I wonder if Sony is willing to step up and try to make a solid game, I miss the Faceoff Series....

pixel_archived
Jan. 6th, '10, 9:18 am
I can't see anyone stepping up and competing with EA... at least in hockey. The market is just too small to make it worth while. When you consider football out sells hockey 10:1 or even 20:1, all the money in development and marketing against a game that has won awards for the last couple of years just doesn't make sense.

It is a shame since back in the day there were 4 or 5 different hockey games. Even though EA's has always been best (IMO) the competition helped improve the game. Only time will tell if this makes them become complacent.

BleedBlueBlood
Jan. 6th, '10, 10:23 am
Hey, gangsta guppy is back...lol.

I say bring back NHL Rivals! Man, I used to love all the titles from XSN (with their website support).

pixel_archived
Jan. 6th, '10, 10:25 am
Hey, gangsta guppy is back...lol.

You son of a bitch...

OSB
Jan. 6th, '10, 11:43 am
An appropriate gangsta response. :agree: I think the lack of competition in the long run is bad for the fans and folks who purchase the games.

Synyster Diablo
Jan. 6th, '10, 11:57 am
I say bring back NHL Rivals! Man, I used to love all the titles from XSN (with their website support).

No way... go all the way back, old school... Blades of Steel :agree:

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 6th, '10, 11:59 am
Rivals gets my vote, Blades of Steel seemed too arcadey ;)

BleedBlueBlood
Jan. 6th, '10, 12:07 pm
Rivals gets my vote, Blades of Steel seemed too arcadey ;)

That was the first game I bought for my xbox. In fact, as soon as I went live, the first night I played online, I met you playing Rivals (the fall of 2003). We hit it off and the rest is history.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 6th, '10, 12:13 pm
yup that fateful night on Rivals, funny huh?

Blaudawg
Jan. 6th, '10, 1:17 pm
Rivals was awesome, i mean it was no NHL Hitz but it was a great game

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 6th, '10, 1:33 pm
imagine if Microsoft bought 2K Sports and came up with Rivals 2K11? that would be cool...

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 12th, '10, 3:43 pm
or better yet...

EA hires the NHL 2K team and create the perfect game incorporating the best of both titles?

BleedBlueBlood
Jan. 12th, '10, 3:54 pm
or better yet...

EA hires the NHL 2K team and create the perfect game incorporating the best of both titles?

I agree, if EA took their titles and incorporated 2K's website support for online leagues....I'd be in heaven!

pixel_archived
Jan. 12th, '10, 4:09 pm
or better yet...

I know you are joking but honestly I think that would be bad. The biggest issues with EA hockey are:

a) Servers - Hiring or buying out 2k would not help this problem at all.
b) EA's Website - The EA site is based on a broad band of sports games. They don't have individual sites for each game so this is another part that won't be improved.
c) Cheesing - This will be a problem until they re-write the entire game engine which won't happen for several years (or longer).

The only thing I can see being a benefit of buying out 2k is that the game presentation might improve. 2K always seems to do a better job at that part of the game.

EA needs to hire a better manager of their servers as well as re-think their entire Website. Considering the size of the company it is hard to believe that they can have such a slow, laggy, bug ridden piece of crap they call a site..

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 12th, '10, 5:26 pm
EA needs to hire you.

Jeffrey99
Jan. 12th, '10, 5:36 pm
I know you are joking but honestly I think that would be bad. The biggest issues with EA hockey are:

a) Servers - Hiring or buying out 2k would not help this problem at all.
b) EA's Website - The EA site is based on a broad band of sports games. They don't have individual sites for each game so this is another part that won't be improved.
c) Cheesing - This will be a problem until they re-write the entire game engine which won't happen for several years (or longer).

The only thing I can see being a benefit of buying out 2k is that the game presentation might improve. 2K always seems to do a better job at that part of the game.

EA needs to hire a better manager of their servers as well as re-think their entire Website. Considering the size of the company it is hard to believe that they can have such a slow, laggy, bug ridden piece of crap they call a site..
While I could never see EA doing that, think they will try to keep the NHL series as cheap as possible to make, I don't think it'd be a bad idea. 2k Has a great league based website. That's something EA could learn from right there. The one thing I think EA could really take form 2k is the amount of sliders they have and the ability to change them. You should be able to set up a online league changing any and all sliders you want, to make it play the way the league wants.

However, I still don't think this means the end of 2k. Honestly, they've already gotten more marketing around 2k11 then they did all of 2k10, since they decided to make 2k10 look like a Wii exclusive. If anything changes, I'd expect they may drop the PS3 and focus on just the Wii and 360. But honestly, I expect to see a version of 2k11 come out next year along with NHL 11, only difference this year will be that I'll pick up 2k first and then rent NHL 11.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 12th, '10, 5:49 pm
Fiscal Report Absence Suggests End Of NHL 2K Series
2K Sports says that they are "evaluating" their sports portfolio and have not announced an NHL game

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177400

I am not sure I have seen any hype around NHL 2K11 other than there might not be one.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 12th, '10, 5:51 pm
I just did a quick Google search and these are the top hits:

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_enCA303CA305&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=nhl+2k11

unless they are trying the dead duck playing possum routine and surprise everyone on Sept 12th 2010 with a game.

Jeffrey99
Jan. 12th, '10, 9:45 pm
I just did a quick Google search and these are the top hits:

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_enCA303CA305&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=nhl+2k11

unless they are trying the dead duck playing possum routine and surprise everyone on Sept 12th 2010 with a game.

I know you don't pay much attention to 2k but I'm not sure if you remember just how long and how little info they released about 2k10. It wasn't until just months before release that they started releasing anything. And even then it was all pimping the Wii version. So I honestly don't think no info about 2k11 right now, with the hockey season barely half way over, is anything to worry about. I mean even EA hasn't released NHL 11 info, unless I'm missing something.

I do expect 2k to make some changes but I'd be guessing it's either the game becoming a 360 exclusive, which I don't see considering how much they've put behind the Wii version. Or they will drop the PS3 version, which is more likely as they never did patch the PS3 version.

I'd honestly be shocked if there is no form of NHL 2k11 come September.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 13th, '10, 5:42 pm
Jeffrey, I am really not trying to be a prick at all here but the FACT that NHL 2K11 was left OFF the list of upcoming titles possiblly means that there WILL NOT be an NHL 2K11 AT ALL. I am not saying anything about releasing information about the game, of course it is too early to do that, 2K has left NHL 2K11 OFF the list.

They promoted it late last year since the EA hype machine was in full swing and they really had nothing earth shattering to announce.

I am not sure if you read the Google link I provided or not but it is not a rumour it is FACT that they are looking at NOT releasing the game.

Jeffrey99
Jan. 13th, '10, 7:34 pm
Jeffrey, I am really not trying to be a prick at all here but the FACT that NHL 2K11 was left OFF the list of upcoming titles possiblly means that there WILL NOT be an NHL 2K11 AT ALL. I am not saying anything about releasing information about the game, of course it is too early to do that, 2K has left NHL 2K11 OFF the list.

They promoted it late last year since the EA hype machine was in full swing and they really had nothing earth shattering to announce.

I am not sure if you read the Google link I provided or not but it is not a rumour it is FACT that they are looking at NOT releasing the game.

But the key word there is possibly. That's what were are talking about. All I'm saying is until 2k officially announces there is no NHL 2k11, I'd expect to see it come September. The only thing 2k has said officially is what you quoted before about them evaluating their games.

And yes, I saw your Google link but I didn't see any FACT or official statement that they weren't releasing 2k11. All I saw was the same story over and over about 2k11 being left off the year end financial report. So if you would, could you please point me to which story had 2k officially saying there would be no form of 2k11?

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 14th, '10, 6:18 am
2K Sports sure seems to be struggling right now. In the wake of Thursday’s announcement that parent company Take-Two expects to post a loss of $137.9 million this year -- which is largely the fault of poor performance from 2K Sports’ baseball games -- comes a rumor that the next installment in the publisher’s hockey series, NHL 2K11, may have been axed.

Yesterday, Pastapadre noticed that NHL 2K11 was nowhere to be found on Take-Two’s Q4 fiscal 2009 results in the section of games that the publisher is currently planning to ship in 2010. (Both MLB 2K10 and NBA 2K11 are listed on the report.) Chris Littman at The Sporting News’ FirstCuts blog asked 2K Sports for comment, and this is what a PR rep told him:

We are currently in the process of evaluating our sports portfolio and have not announced any new NHL titles at this time.
That’s a damning statement if I’ve ever seen one. Littman pointed out that if NHL 2K is no more, the franchise appears to be dying the same death as the publisher’s College Hoops 2K series. After College Hoops 2K8 released in November 2007, the company remained quiet on the future of the franchise before announcing in January 2008 that it had ended negotiations with the Collegiate Licensing Company (which, as you may have guessed, controls licensing for college sports) and would not be making any more College Hoops games.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-nhl-2k11-likely-canceled-2k-sports-in-trouble--158261.phtml

However now there is an indication that NHL 2K11 may not be in development. In the Q4 fiscal report from Take Two on Thursday the games planned for the next fiscal year were laid out. Noticeably absent from the list is the mention of NHL 2K11.
One might think it was just an omission or the game was too far out from release to be cited. That is not the case though as NBA 2K11 is included and the NBA game comes out a month after the NHL game. The list is based on all titles planned for the coming year.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/12/18/nhl-2k-ommision-may-be-sign-of-cancelation

If I was a shareholder in Take Two I would want to know what the line up is for the upcoming season, see what the company has in the works and something to look forward too. To not list it is rather damning IMO. Shareholders in a company don't care about fans of the series, only the bottom line and if something isn't bringing the bread in.... cut it loose.

I am trying to post fact only, the story was picked up and it has been widely reported that the NHL series is dead for 2K as they can't keep up in sales. (at the end of October EA was outselling 2K 50-1) and 2K was smoking EA in NBA (but EA is catching up). The MLB exclusive license means they are locked into making the game even though The Show is hammering them. NHL with it's poor sales is a logical cut, much like NCAA Hoops series.

response from 2K:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/12/18/2k-response-regarding-nhl-series

Late last night I posted an article regarding the lack of NHL 2K11 being mentioned in the list of titles for Take Two over the next fiscal year. NHL 2K had been included in the report in previous years making its omission glaring. The situation is mirroring that of College Hoops before it was officially canceled.
Chris Littmann at First Cuts was able to get comment from 2K Sports regarding the future of NHL 2K. As he points out the following statement speaks volumes as to the situation.
“We are currently in the process of evaluating our sports portfolio and have not announced any new NHL titles at this time.”
It is safe to say that if they had been questioned whether there would be an NBA 2K11 the response would have been completely different. Certainly they would have wanted to put out the fire of speculation building and it would have been easy for them to do so. That they didn’t makes it seem even more likely that NHL 2K is on the way out.

Of course we will have to wait and see.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 14th, '10, 9:05 am
more take over talks for the troubled Take Two:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/12/20/talk-of-take-two-acquisition-resurfaces

After the fourth quarter fiscal report for Take Two arrived, which foreshadowed the likely end of the NHL 2K franchise, some more news came to light. Investor Carl Icahn revealed he has purchased additional stock in Take Two and now owns 11% of the company. His past history of intervention suggests he could pressure Take Two executives to seek a sale of the company. Kotaku has a full write-up on the situation that is worth reading here.
If it were to play out that way the obvious question is whether Electronic Arts would be interested again. Given the current circumstances of the market probably not, at least not at the price Take Two would likely be asking for. Last year EA offered $26 a share which was well over its value at the time. Take Two shareholders are regretting passing on that opportunity now while EA is likely relieved they haven’t had that increased drag on them since. In the time since the proposed deal fell through both companies have seen the value of their stocks fall.

Hopefully EA doesn't put another bid.

Jeffrey99
Jan. 14th, '10, 8:04 pm
I'll just leave it at this, the only fact from the articles you stated above is that NHL 2k11 was left of Q4 fiscal 2009 results. That is a fact. The sale of Take Two, the end of NHL 2k11, etc all of right now is rumors. Does it look good for NHL 2k11, no. But as of now 2k has said nothing officially about there being no 2k11.

AS for EA buying Take Two, why would they? I honestly don't see what they'd gain out of it.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 15th, '10, 6:34 am
Grand Theft Auto and Bio Shock series, the staff for the NBA Series as well. The most important thing for me would be the fact that EA could revive the MVP baseball series and I can finally play a baseball game on the 360 :thumbup:

slow elk
Jan. 15th, '10, 11:35 am
Grand Theft Auto and Bio Shock series, the staff for the NBA Series as well. The most important thing for me would be the fact that EA could revive the MVP baseball series and I can finally play a baseball game on the 360 :thumbup:

damn straight...I miss the MVP series.

Jeffrey99
Jan. 15th, '10, 8:08 pm

Take two is Grand Theft Auto? I knew they were BioShock and Oblivion. In your honest opinoin, would it really be worth it to EA to buy up take two to revive a 5 year old baseball game? One that I'm guessing they'd have to start form scratch rebuilding it for the 360? Granted aslong as it played as well as MVP 2005, it'd probably sell as much if not more then MLB 2k. Multi console baseball fans will still go with MLB The Show or atleast until MVP could compete which I'm sure would take a few years.

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 15th, '10, 8:34 pm
Take Two owns RockStar games (makers of GTA) so technically it's under the umbrella, much like EA owns Bioware and the Dragon Age game etc etc.

MVP 2005 IMO is better than anything the 2K series has put out in the last 5 years and could explain why Sony decided to model The Show after the MVP series and is selling loads of copies.

I don't want to see it happen personally, but after the fiasco last time around I don't think the shareholders in TTWO will be as forgiving if a deal isn't made... whether it be EA or Activision/Ubisoft who ever

Jeffrey99
Jan. 15th, '10, 10:34 pm
Take Two owns RockStar games (makers of GTA) so technically it's under the umbrella, much like EA owns Bioware and the Dragon Age game etc etc.
Did not realize that. Huh, guess learning something new everyday. LOL

MVP 2005 IMO is better than anything the 2K series has put out in the last 5 years and could explain why Sony decided to model The Show after the MVP series and is selling loads of copies.

I would agree. Just don't know if in this market right now if it'd be beneficial to EA to buy Take Two for the main purpose of bringing back MVP Baseball.

jujimum
Jan. 16th, '10, 12:32 am
It makes shudder to even think about EA touching Oblivion or even Fallout. I sit in the corner clutching my copies while rocking back and forth saying, "Get away from my babies!!!!"

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 17th, '10, 7:26 pm
It makes shudder to even think about EA touching Oblivion or even Fallout. I sit in the corner clutching my copies while rocking back and forth saying, "Get away from my babies!!!!"

I think the only thing EA would do is give the current dev teams more money, tools/resources to improve the franchise, I doubt very much they would can the devs who are in place and start from scratch.

Kiddstyle
Feb. 9th, '10, 5:00 pm
http://www.sonicbids.com/Opportunity/OpportunityView.aspx?opportunity_id=17026

Might not be dead yet!

jujimum
Feb. 9th, '10, 5:16 pm
Um, Rob...Mike....care to explain? :rofl:

http://xbox-sports.com/uploads/jujimum/2kRobMike.jpg

Just thought that was funny the way it was truncated on my browser.

Phoenix 2.0
Feb. 9th, '10, 5:24 pm
http://www.sonicbids.com/Opportunity/OpportunityView.aspx?opportunity_id=17026

Might not be dead yet!

that is good news but why are none of the more mainstream sites like IGN or Gamespot or 2ksports reporting anything?

Um, Rob...Mike....care to explain? :rofl:

http://xbox-sports.com/uploads/jujimum/2kRobMike.jpg

Just thought that was funny the way it was truncated on my browser.

Mike and I have our own rock band, we submitted songs to 2K... we were desperate for cash.

http://grab.by/2jeY

LMAO!

IGN:

http://search.ign.com/products?query=nhl%202k11

Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=nhl+2k11&om_act=convert&om_clk=search

2Ksports:

http://2ksports.com/

Kiddstyle
Feb. 10th, '10, 4:36 pm
2K has always been late to the game releasing information. It will come out a month or so before release. I think it will come out. I see no reason to believe it's not coming out.

Kiddstyle
Mar. 3rd, '10, 4:38 pm
Looks like you are wrong Rob.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/03/nhl-2k11-skips-xbox-360-and-ps3-only-coming-to-wii/

Jeffrey99
Mar. 3rd, '10, 5:56 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/03/nhl-2k11-skips-xbox-360-and-ps3-only-coming-to-wii/

On one hand, I understand this move completely but on the other I don't really see how it can help much financially. According to vgchartz.com, the Wii version did outsell the PS3 & 360 combined. Plus they don't have any competition on the Wii. I'd be highly surprised if there is ever another NHL 2k game on the PS3 or 360. So while it may help in the sales department, I don't think it helps solidify the 2k hockey foundation.

Phoenix 2.0
Mar. 3rd, '10, 6:09 pm

LOL!!!

HOW AM I WRONG?

THERE WILL BE NO NHL 2K 11 ON EITHER THE 360 OR PS3...

I don't see how I am wrong at all, they aren't releasing 2K11 to compete head to head with EA they threw in the towel and are only releasing it on a system that they have no competition on..... yet.

EA won the NHL market on next gen consoles bottom line, 2K cut there losses and don't be too shocked if they develop the NHL series exclusively on the Wii from here on out.

I don't see how I am wrong at all.

No competition is bad all around and I fear what may happen if EA goes to the Wii.

Kiddstyle
Mar. 3rd, '10, 6:17 pm

You didn't specifically say 360 and PS3. You said "there WILL NOT be an NHL 2K11 AT ALL" Although I am sure you are just as happy seeing it being axed on two systems, which I don't understand. No competition means little innovation. No one wins the nex gen console war for hockey. Only gamers lose with no choice. It's been proven with Madden, and it will more than likely happen again with hockey. It doesn't matter that Littman wants to see a great game, the higher ups could say: hey, we have no competition, so there is no need to innovate or develop anything new or groundbreaking. This has been the case in many different businesses.

2K did bring this on themselves. VC developed a subpar game and it showed in the sales and reviews. Whether it was subpar because of lack of staff or higher up decisions, we will never know. Developers do not want to release bad games, they are usually forced to through budgets constraints or other reasons made by higher ups.

Phoenix 2.0
Mar. 3rd, '10, 6:36 pm
not happy at all, not sure where that comes from. I am a fan of competition always have been always will be.

Littman and his crew had a direction to take the series the 2K group decide to "wing" it and hope for the best and all the happy folks reminiscing about the "good old days"

Littman and his group have achieved many of their goals they set but they are far from done, trust me on that.

Innovation is far from dead for Littman's group.

canucksss
Mar. 5th, '10, 5:18 pm
i just hope EA will not release a product lower than 2010 because they dont have any competition. this is not good for gamers.