PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Kindle

GrandmasterB
Dec. 26th, '09, 3:21 pm
I've been looking at getting a Kindle for quite awhile now, and too my surprise Mrs. GMB got me one for Christmas. I've gotta say I love this thing! I haven't put it down since receiving it on Xmas Eve. The coolest thing is it's got a built in PDF reader, so I can transfer PDF eBooks that I've previously been reading on screen and floating between windows.

I've been extremely impressed with the screen resolution and how easy it is on the eyes. Unlike reading email or documents on the iPhone or a laptop there is little to no screen glare. The wireless and 3G Whispernet connectivity is amazingly fast! I downloaded my first book from the store and it was on my kindle in literally five seconds!

So far there has been only one issue that I don't like about it...there's no backlight. I can only assume with the thin body and how lightweight it is that adding a backlight would've compromised the feel of the device as well as battery life. It's not a deal breaker for me, but an issue I can see many people having. Overall, I'm very impressed with it and can see why it was the #1 gift on Amazon this year.

Do any of you have a Kindle or maybe the Sony eReader? Just curious what your thoughts are about it and what your experience has been.

OSB
Dec. 26th, '09, 3:56 pm
My father just picked up a Nook for his Christmas and absolutely loves it!

GrandmasterB
Dec. 26th, '09, 4:10 pm
I thought the Nook came out in February?

OSB
Dec. 26th, '09, 5:25 pm
I'm holding it right now. He ordered it some time ago, but there were repeated delays in delivering despite a promise of delivery by Christmas. He literally received it on the 24th, probably like everyone else who ordered the Nook. He was in a download queue overnight for his first book, though that should get better when the servers aren't quite as overloaded. I went back to the bookstore today to pick up some more literature, and they had hundreds of Nooks on display. Full color, super slim, looks really sweet.

That said, I personally at this time prefer hard cover books above all else.

Phoenix 2.0
Dec. 26th, '09, 7:35 pm
just watched this:

YouTube- Amazon Kindle 2 vs. Sony Reader PRS-700

then watched this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezlLHKktf9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezlLHKktf9I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and now I have a few questions!

my wife is a very avid reader with a rather "extensive" library of books, the sheer cost of repurchasing is out of the question is it possible to input bar code to site and download digital version to one of these readers?

The Kindle 2 says that 3G whisper connectivity is included in the cost, is the same true for the Sony Reader or B&N Nook?

any Canadians have one of these?

GrandmasterB
Dec. 27th, '09, 1:29 am
Sony doesn't have wireless and it only has 512MB on-board memory. When I had looked at all of the options between the Sony and the Kindle the deciding factors were the wireless and the number of books available. The other major factor was that this is the 2nd gen of the Kindle, which meant most of the bugs were worked out already.

In my opinion the Kindle and the Nook will quickly take the market share away from Sony. When I think of books, I just don't think about Sony. I know they sell the device at Borders, but they don't have the library of books that BN and Amazon have.

In the end it's all about what you feel comfortable with. My wife (like Pete) would rather hold a book instead of the Kindle, so for you book fans it's probably not for you.

bones56
Dec. 27th, '09, 9:15 am
I will be getting one for my wife eventually, i just want to make sure she will use it. My sister n law just got one loves the kindle.

OSB
Dec. 27th, '09, 9:18 am
Just clarified with my pops that he pre-ordered his way back in October. He also told me that the ones we saw on display at the store were fake demos, all of them. They're certainly trying to flood the market, but it does look like a really neat device!

FluKy
Dec. 28th, '09, 10:49 am
i saw one of these on the subway in toronto! i was wondering what they are now i know! :p

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 6th, '10, 9:52 am
I just brought down the Amazon Kindle app for the iPhone:

Kindle for iPhone: Read Kindle books on your iPhone or iPod touch

pretty slick I must say

tHe Rk
Jan. 10th, '10, 12:47 pm
We all pitched in and got my mom a Nook for Christmas which she finally got earlier this week. She let me play with it just a bit, so I did a video on it. I really like it, but am still waiting to see what happens with the supposed "iSlate" later on this month over at apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ePAMhbb5A

Phoenix 2.0
Jan. 14th, '10, 5:32 pm
Nice Video Nick!

GrandmasterB
Jan. 14th, '10, 6:01 pm
I can't remember if it was one of Rob's comments on the iSlate or somewhere else, but apparently Apple has bought up a ton of OLED screens for the iSlate that will allow it to function as an eReader!

On another note...the unpackaging of the nook is crazy! I literally pulled the zip cord on the packaging of the Kindle and was reading by the time you were getting the directions out of the box. Great video though...when did you start doing tech reviews?

tHe Rk
Jan. 14th, '10, 9:42 pm
Nice Video Nick!
Thanks.

I can't remember if it was one of Rob's comments on the iSlate or somewhere else, but apparently Apple has bought up a ton of OLED screens for the iSlate that will allow it to function as an eReader!

On another note...the unpackaging of the nook is crazy! I literally pulled the zip cord on the packaging of the Kindle and was reading by the time you were getting the directions out of the box. Great video though...when did you start doing tech reviews?

I know right? I thought it was pretty ridiculous too. As for the tech reviews, I just recently started. I had to resign my post over at SBNation and the WTLC blog as it was just WAY too time consuming for me to continue and stopped being fun. So the whole technology brat thing is my new little hobby and I'm enjoying it so far. I dunno if I'm any good at it or not, but hey, I'm having fun so who cares if its good :p

Also I hope the iSlate gets the OLED as well. I sold my Sony Laptop for $850 and I'm almost certain that I'm gonna dump that right into apple's pockets at the end of the month when they start up the pre-sales.

GrandmasterB
Jan. 15th, '10, 12:15 am
The videos are pretty good, I thought they were pretty informative. What type of equipment are you using to record and edit the videos? I've been thinking about doing something along the lines of game or movie reviews, but haven't had much time to sit down and plan it out.

I did see something crazy where a guy bought a $20 green shower curtain from IKEA (as a green screen) and used his FLIP cam to do videos. He did all of the editing on iMovie, which wasn't super great for keying out the green...but inventive nonetheless.

jujimum
Jan. 20th, '10, 7:52 pm
Check out these two products (sorry, haven't been keeping up with the thread to see if they have been mentioned).

Neither one is out yet but will be soon (Alex will be Feb. 22).

Alex dual-screen reader ($359):

http://www.springdesign.com/us/index.action

Skiff E-reader (sounds like a good option for the wives who want a bigger screen more like a book).

http://www.skiff.com/skiff-reader.html

GrandmasterB
Jan. 21st, '10, 5:49 pm
Amazon announced that they're going to release a Software Development Kit for the Kindle. They've also bumped the price match for publishers to 70% to match iTunes.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/01/21/amazon-reacts-to-not-yet-here-apple-tablet-with-sdk-for-kindle/

tHe Rk
Jan. 23rd, '10, 8:49 am
The videos are pretty good, I thought they were pretty informative. What type of equipment are you using to record and edit the videos? I've been thinking about doing something along the lines of game or movie reviews, but haven't had much time to sit down and plan it out.

I did see something crazy where a guy bought a $20 green shower curtain from IKEA (as a green screen) and used his FLIP cam to do videos. He did all of the editing on iMovie, which wasn't super great for keying out the green...but inventive nonetheless.

Well thanks, and I originally had plans to do game/movie type reviews as well (which was why I got a PVR) but in the end I just don't have that kind of time, so I ditched the PVR for a Wii :p

lol, anyway, I'm just using a cheap little Sony Webbie HD, but its getting the job done. I'm still kinda working out getting the best quality I can out of it, and trying to find the best lighting I can in my house. I don't do much editing and I only have Live Movie Maker. I'd love to get my hands on a mac and the iLife suite so I could make my own music and do some better editing, even get Final Cut or something. Guess I gotta get a Mac first, which means make more money first :p

pixel_archived
Jan. 23rd, '10, 10:14 am
I thought your review was excellent. It came off as very professional with it being well spoken. So many of those types of reviews have guys going "...ah" or "mmm" every 3rd or 4th word. The only suggestion I would have which is what you said in your post about adding some music. At any rate, great job with that.

Phoenix 2.0
Oct. 14th, '10, 4:04 pm
so my parents want to get my wife an E reader for Christmas, they are looking at a Sony S300 or something like that....

who from this thread has an E reader and which one is the best bang for the buck?

I really like the Nook, I also like the Kindle but are they available in Canada?

They seem to be in or around $150.00 price point

Phoenix 2.0
Oct. 14th, '10, 4:18 pm
Kobo looks good to, built in WiFi and expansion up to 4 GB...

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo-ereader/

GrandmasterB
Oct. 14th, '10, 5:03 pm
The Nook and Kindle are the two best E-Readers for the money. The fact that they have huge libraries makes them more desirable. I have a Kindle and love it...I've never read so many books. I know that the Kindle is available in Canada, but not sure about the Nook.

I can't attest for the Nook, but my Mom has one and she loves it. She's not very tech savvy at all, but finds it extremely easy to use. I guess it's all about the provider...I think they're pretty much the same thing aside for a few different features.

Phoenix 2.0
Oct. 14th, '10, 5:41 pm
I am thinking this is what we will go with:
$139 WiFi (http://www.amazon.com/)

just hoping that my parents didn't go ahead and get something already!

Vega
Oct. 14th, '10, 8:15 pm
How much are the books on those things? I was wanting to get my wife one for Christmas, but going the the library and finding something new is kinda one of her hobbies, and usually if she's going to buy a book, she likes to have the hardback to add to her library. Are the E-books markedly cheaper?

Mullet
Oct. 14th, '10, 8:42 pm
How much are the books on those things? I was wanting to get my wife one for Christmas, but going the the library and finding something new is kinda one of her hobbies, and usually if she's going to buy a book, she likes to have the hardback to add to her library. Are the E-books markedly cheaper?

We have the Nook, Kindle, and iBook app on my iPad and the books run from free to $12.99. They are all great, but I would highly recommend spending the extra money and just get an iPad. It has everything the ereaders has plus everything you could imagine (except Adobe Flash). :thumbsup:

Written from the iPad between reading free books.

bones56
Oct. 14th, '10, 8:57 pm
yeah the price has come down quite a bit, very reasonable. I want to get one for my wife but i don't think she is ready for one yet. She still like to shop for books in borders/B&N