PDA

View Full Version : IGN First Look NHL 2K10

Phoenix 2.0
Jun. 22nd, '09, 5:48 pm
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/996/996506p1.html

"When it comes to hockey games I do have to say I'm a bit conflicted. Being from Minnesota(the state of hockey, folks) I'm love the game, played it up until high school, and frequent every game of puck out there regardless of console. Still, while both 2K and EA tend to evolve year over year in the direction of sim-like experiences I can't help but feel like we're losing the classic feeling of hockey found on systems like the Super NES or original Nintendo in the form of NHL 94, Blades of Steel, or Ice Hockey. If only there was a way to get the simple pleasure and balance of those games merged with a full-on, realistic hockey experience…

It's far too early to tell at this point, but that's exactly what 2K is going for with NHL 2K10. Don't worry, the game still looks the same (better, in fact) as far as style and realism, you've got every mode and option you expect from last year, but 2K as also mentioned that the company is essentially giving the true two year project it intended on back in 2007. Last year's game was fun and had a lot of options, but this is really a continuation off of that. If 2K9 was fun, but not quite there, it's because it was only half of the dev cycle in 2K's mind. As such, 2K10 is meant to be the fruits of two years of labor; not just a one-year quick fix update."

2K going the "arcadey" route?

DrugMonkeyRX
Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:07 pm
:poop:....this is what comes to mind when 2k hockey is mentioned. Having said that, ill wait and see how the game looks this yr but my money is on the brown stuff.

Jepockn
Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:40 pm
lol what a picture, i am pretty excited for the online franchise mode though.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/996/996495/nhl-2k10-20090619041007350.jpg

infrb
Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:51 pm
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/996/996506p1.html

2K going the "arcadey" route?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure how to put this, but whenever a competing product is ever mentioned here it seems like you take a jab at the product, saying the EA product is much better. Granted, 2K hockey hasn't been great lately, and the network errors in the MLB and NHL series are frustrating beyond belief, but as a community leader/rep I don't think you should be taking those shots. I do agree with you that the products aren't good, but coming from someone in your position, those comments should be left to the regular members who don't hold leadership positions.

Just my take and something I noticed. Don't tar and feather me please :)

Synyster Diablo
Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:54 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure how to put this, but whenever a competing product is ever mentioned here it seems like you take a jab at the product, saying the EA product is much better. Granted, 2K hockey hasn't been great lately, and the network errors in the MLB and NHL series are frustrating beyond belief, but as a community leader/rep I don't think you should be taking those shots. I do agree with you that the products aren't good, but coming from someone in your position, those comments should be left to the regular members who don't hold leadership positions.

Actually Rob is a big fan of 2K's The Bigs 2 and has stated that in The Bigs 2 thread... I don't have a problem with him stating his opinion as he is a gamer first and foremost and a leader second in my opinion. EA has had a superior product with the NHL series the last few years and 2K's MLB series has been absolutely horrible, as stated by more than just us here at XBS.

Phoenix 2.0
Jun. 22nd, '09, 7:09 pm
actually infrb is right and I will refrain from taking shots at 2K from here on out.

infrb
Jun. 22nd, '09, 8:29 pm
Thanks Rob! :) good man

I hope 2K can eventually get it right. It's always nice having competition. No competition equals a crappy product. We all suffer in that regard.

I think 2K is hitting the casual market too hard. It's too bad because the core market is where they need to be focused to get the gameplay right. Make the casual features built on solid core game play, not the other way around.

Jeffrey99
Jun. 22nd, '09, 9:58 pm

While I will be the first to admit that I think Rob is a little over pro EA sometimes, when it comes to 2k's NHL series, I can't blame him. 2k hockey hasn't done jack on this gen of consoles. The last decent product was NHL 2k6 for the Xbox. I used to be a big 2k guy and even I couldn't stand to even look at 2k9. The players and skating looked horrible.

I do wish they get their crap together and start making a decent game again. Really loved all the online options they had for leagues. But I do have to tell ya, the following quote form the IGN aroticle has me scared.

Just like 2K9 the game is faster, a bit more on an arcade-slant over something like EA's series

Phoenix 2.0
Jun. 23rd, '09, 8:49 pm
I guess I don't disguise it well enough anymore lol!

I would love to see 2K Sports make a come back, competition is great for us as consumers, it's funny when you look back over the last 10 years and see a momentum swing in every sport title between the two companies. The ebb and flow is good but I prefer more constancy

canucksss
Jun. 27th, '09, 6:46 am
well some guys here can testify that i love playing the 2k series UNTIL 2007, where i EA and having the 2k7 (my last 2k nhl). and every year after, you could see (and feel) the gap becomes bigger and bigger. until they 2k improves their graphics and go back to being SIM style, ill be playing EA for awhile.

Latdogg
Jun. 27th, '09, 1:27 pm
I wish 2K would put out a good hockey game. EA online sucks ass, while 2K's online leagues/features are awesome. Hopefully within the next few years 2K will catch up.

infrb
Jun. 27th, '09, 1:36 pm
I wish 2K would put out a good hockey game. EA online sucks ass, while 2K's online leagues/features are awesome. Hopefully within the next few years 2K will catch up.

You mustn't remember the network errors from NHL 2k6 and 2k7, the same network errors that happen in MLB.

I think EA's online offering is a lot better than 2Ks from an infrastructure/network standpoint. From a gameplay standpoint, I just hope the curve shot, wrap around, etc. are gone.

DrugMonkeyRX
Jun. 27th, '09, 1:53 pm
I think hes talking about how the leagues are setup online. I agree 2k def does a way better job than EA when it comes to that.

Latdogg
Jun. 27th, '09, 2:03 pm
I think hes talking about how the leagues are setup online. I agree 2k def does a way better job than EA when it comes to that.Yes, I was referring to the online leagues that they offer. Way deeper than EA's "online league". Tris10 did some nice work. Now if only the game was better...

infrb
Jun. 27th, '09, 2:03 pm
I agree on the concept. The execution however is pretty bad. Appears that the adjustment of the lineups in MLB is what causes the network errors in the first place. Wouldn't surprise me if the same thing was true for what used to happen in online leagues in NHL2K6 and 2K7.

Synyster Diablo
Jul. 11th, '09, 8:11 am
Funny how I haven't seen one trailer or clip of this game yet, I think with all the improvements in the EA series that 2K has a lot to worry about.

Jeffrey99
Jul. 11th, '09, 8:23 am
Funny how I haven't seen one trailer or clip of this game yet, I think with all the improvements in the EA series that 2K has a lot to worry about.

I have to agree. I was a bit of a 2k fanboy back in the day and I really don't see how they can compete with EA right now. Back then you EA was still on the more arcade route, while 2k was more sim but now you don't even have that.

My personal opinion, they should cancel 2k10 and take a full year+ to work on NHL2k11. Either that or dropping the price back to $19.99 is about they only way I can see them competing right now. That is unless they have some major massive change and videos coming out next month.

It's kinda said to see how good NFL 2k5 was and NBA 2k is but how horrible MLB and NHL is.

BenchBoss67
Jul. 11th, '09, 8:48 am
I would have to say I was a huge 2k supporter back when it was a great game and really never liked the ea game. But once the 360 came out it seemed like 2k just started to not make a better game and ea took a huge jump to better the game and to this day continue to make improvements. I still play in a 2k league as it was my 1st ever online league but I personally prefer ea by far

Phoenix 2.0
Jul. 11th, '09, 9:13 am
2K will be releasing information and screen shots soon enough

canucksss
Jul. 18th, '09, 1:29 am
I would have to say I was a huge 2k supporter back when it was a great game and really never liked the ea game. But once the 360 came out it seemed like 2k just started to not make a better game and ea took a huge jump to better the game and to this day continue to make improvements. I still play in a 2k league as it was my 1st ever online league but I personally prefer ea by far

yea i remember competing against you back in the other site. like you, i really like 2k a lot, but as the released of 2k7 and the new feature of EA2007 (with the right analog) i think the stride to a better game, EA made big steps while 2k either regressed or stop improving on their games.

BoozersOnline
Jul. 18th, '09, 1:59 am
I have to agree. I was a bit of a 2k fanboy back in the day and I really don't see how they can compete with EA right now. Back then you EA was still on the more arcade route, while 2k was more sim but now you don't even have that.

My personal opinion, they should cancel 2k10 and take a full year+ to work on NHL2k11. Either that or dropping the price back to $19.99 is about they only way I can see them competing right now. That is unless they have some major massive change and videos coming out next month.

It's kinda said to see how good NFL 2k5 was and NBA 2k is but how horrible MLB and NHL is.

Agreed Jeffrey they should go back to the 19.99 price point they probably would sell more