PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet cables

BenchBoss67
Jan. 6th, '13, 9:36 am
just wondering if an ethernet cable is an ethernet cable? Does name really make a difference with these? The reason I ask is best buy has a 50' dynex cat6 for $36.99 and walmart is selling a shaxon cat 6 50' for $15.32. I have understood with certain cables go for the higher end just wondering if this is the same deal?

Chew Therapy
Jan. 6th, '13, 9:38 am
You want cat6e cable. It's currently the best network cable available.

Walbeb
Jan. 6th, '13, 9:40 am
Dynex is a very good brand IMO. Cat5 and Cat6 is the biggest difference but you can find Amazon selling Ethernet cables very cheap. I'm not too sure on Shaxon but I can't imagine it not doing the job just as well. I know the Dynex cables are crazy thick and really sturdy so if you have animals or if Walt Jr enjoys chewing on cords I would go with the Dynex.

Hope this helps

**Edit, Like Chew said stay with cat6, I noticed a HUGE difference when I switched in my download and upload speed so whatever you do stay with cat6.

Chew Therapy
Jan. 6th, '13, 10:00 am
Dynex is a very good brand IMO. Cat5 and Cat6 is the biggest difference but you can find Amazon selling Ethernet cables very cheap. I'm not too sure on Shaxon but I can't imagine it not doing the job just as well. I know the Dynex cables are crazy thick and really sturdy so if you have animals or if Walt Jr enjoys chewing on cords I would go with the Dynex.

Hope this helps

**Edit, Like Chew said stay with cat6, I noticed a HUGE difference when I switched in my download and upload speed so whatever you do stay with cat6.

There is significant difference between just cat6 and cat6e

BenchBoss67
Jan. 6th, '13, 10:14 am
i have not seen cat6e just 5 and 6 more interested in the name issue and price point if 16 dollars works as well would not mind saving the 15 dollars

FluKy
Jan. 6th, '13, 10:21 am
Im still running on cat5 damn i need to upgrade. My 50' is from when i originally got xbox live 8 years ago holy crap.

BenchBoss67
Jan. 6th, '13, 10:25 am
theses are 2 different ones i saw

For voice/data/video distribution, the C2G Cat6 550MHz Snagless Patch Cable will handle bandwidth-intensive applications up to 550MHz. Meets all Cat6 TIA/EIA-568-B-2.1, draft 9 standards and drastically reduces both impedance and structural return loss (SRL) when compared to standard 100MHz wire.

C2G Cat6 550MHz Snagless Patch Cable, 50':
Snagless design
Handles applications up to 550MHz
Connector 1: RJ-45 Male
Connector 2: RJ-45 Male
Cable Length: 50'
Color: Blue

Shaxon UL724M8150YL-7FB RJ45-to-RJ45 Category 6 Patch Cord, 50':
Features molded boots with a bump design for protecting the clip during usage
24 AWG stranded wire for repeated flexing and movement without micro cracking of the copper
Short body plug design that minimizes de-twisting of the pairs during the manufacturing process
Flush boot that allows the cables to fit side by side in high density patch fields
Provides a backbone for transmission speeds up to 1000Base-T
Backwards compatible with both 10Base-T and 100Base-T
Cable Length: 50'
Color: Yellow

DesiredCustoms
Jan. 6th, '13, 12:48 pm
sorry guys.. you wont notice the difference unless all your components are inline with Gigabit networking for cat 5 to cat 6

your router/switch/hubs/modems are most 10/100megabits systems.. newer equipment is now using whats called gigabit ethernet which is 1000megabits per second transfer rate. This is where u need the cat 6e to get the higher speeds.

xbox 360 along with most media devices are 10/100 based.. and cat 5 will just be fine. chances are your modems and routers will not do 1000mb transfer rates.

Welbeb, not sure on your setup, but you must have a gigabit router/modem?

there is small differences in cables cat 5 to another company cat5 or cat5e .. this is based on shielding along with some other minor differences.. but i can gurantee you will not see anything of a difference on them for the pricing..

the problem is bottlenecking.. you can have the biggest and best cable.. but the other end only puts out what it can.. happens in automotive and electronics all the time..

hope that helps

BenchBoss67
Jan. 6th, '13, 2:29 pm
does the 550 mhz maKE A DIFFERENCE? The 2 i posted above are both cat 6 but the one is a little more expensive by maybe 2 bucks but says it is the 55o mhz which when i read the difference on one site it said the 550 was the cat 6e but i do not know

XBoxJon
Jan. 6th, '13, 2:38 pm
monoprice.com for any cabling needs. Seriously, look no further.

50ft Cat6 550MHz for $7.33

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232#1023213

50ft Cat5e 350MHz for $6.11

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208#1020812

edit: while you're putting an order together, throw in some $2.00 HDMI cables or Toslink optical audio cables too, you never know when you might need them.

FluKy
Jan. 6th, '13, 3:13 pm
Ill probably send in an order, thats where i got my hdmi cord from before. I dont have any optical audio cords either and would absolutely lve to use and abuse the optical audio slots i have.

XBoxJon
Jan. 6th, '13, 3:41 pm
I wouldn't worry about replacing your old 50ft run of Cat5 though Fluky. As DC mentioned, it doesn't matter for Xbox since it's not a gigabit network device.

I've gone though and converted some of my 10/100 stuff to 1000, and the difference is noticed, but for online gaming with the 360 it certainly won't matter since you're not evening coming close to touching that 100 bottleneck anyway. The cabling isn't slowing you down.