PDA

View Full Version : I need a new phone. Thoughts?

muscleyarms83
Jun. 20th, '12, 2:54 am
Basically, the question is in the title. :p

Actually, I've had the urge to shoot, dismember, and burn my Blackberry Torch 9800 for a while now. It is slow as fuck, drops calls constantly, does this lovely thing where when I'm on a call it alternates randomly between speakerphone and handset, Also, I have to manually reset it at least once every 48 hours, it has dumped my contacts list twice, and I've reset it to factory settings twice (not the same occasions). It needs to die a terrible, terrible death.

Problem is, I still have a full year left on my contract, and it's gonna cost me around $200 to buy out the contract (called an "early upgrade fee" otherwise), minus $15 for every month I survive with this thing. Which won't be many more.

So I have a few options to consider. Sorry, but iPhones are completely out of the question for me. I just plain don't want to support that company.

What's left:

Samsung Galaxy SIII
HTC One X
Nokia Lumia 900
Others?

I'll set up a poll, but I'd like to see some input or advice from anyone who owns one of these.

DrugMonkeyRX
Jun. 20th, '12, 7:44 am
You should take the blackberry in and have them fix it, if they don't buy the cheapest used phone you can and use that for a year.

How old is that phone you have anyway?

I would then purchase the Samsung galaxy, the htc battery life blows

LL ShockZone
Jun. 20th, '12, 8:03 am
I'm glad I kept reading... I was going to say iPhone considering that it's the most reliable phone I've ever owned. But since that's out of the question, I would say try to stay away from HTC - they're great for the first year. After that, they slow down every update (hardware is not geared for updates, which is why they are usually cheaper) and as Drug said - the battery life is sketchy.

I would also go with the Galaxy S3

Tony Amonte
Jun. 20th, '12, 8:17 am
I have an HTC - Evo muscley. The battery life as stated above IS A JOKE...however, for me as long as I'm connected to wi-fi, it's perfectly fine. Blacklash is also correct in saying that it absolutely slows down after updates over time. I'm almost 2 years into this phone and am ready to move on. But I will say overall I was happy with it for the time i've had it. There's really nothing you cannot do on it.

LL ShockZone
Jun. 20th, '12, 8:22 am
Blacklash .

How come everyone always confuses us?

nosice
Jun. 20th, '12, 8:51 am
I have an HTC - Evo muscley. The battery life as stated above IS A JOKE...however, for me as long as I'm connected to wi-fi, it's perfectly fine. Blacklash is also correct in saying that it absolutely slows down after updates over time. I'm almost 2 years into this phone and am ready to move on. But I will say overall I was happy with it for the time i've had it. There's really nothing you cannot do on it.

I have an EVO 4G as well and Its the first phone ive ever had that I wanted another one just like it..

We're a few weeks away from getting new phones and I hope to find another EVO just like it or a generation better...

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE PHONE.. the only problem is we were using it to accept credit cards and I had to take the otter box off to put the adapter in the head phone jack... Closing shop, we were in such a hurry that I just grabbed the parts of the otter box and tossed it in the truck... Well I could not find the top piece so I had the phone left unprotected..lol...

So a few weeks later Im using my phone's internet in the media booth at the church, connecting the USB cord to Booth Computer and I knocked the phone off the side of the half wall and phone's glass cracked .. now you got to understand I drop my phone ALOT!!!... I mean a Lot... the otter box was great... So ... that's my only thing That Im upset about the phone but it was my doing..lol..

Battery Life: There's certain programs that ive put on my phone that will kill the battery so I try to remember to close them out completely... but other than that usually go pretty far on a charge...

Tony Amonte
Jun. 20th, '12, 8:58 am
How come everyone always confuses us?

:doh:

I see the "LL" and refuse to keep reading LOL

muscleyarms83
Jun. 20th, '12, 11:40 am
From what I'm reading online, the Nokia Lumia is considered a good enough Windows phone, but not good enough to compete with the other two or iPhone.

I was really dead set on the Galaxy S2 not all that long ago until I was told S3 was coming soon... But I'm always wary of new technology on release (which I got burned on with this shitty Torch, which was supposed to be the best thing EVAR when it was released).

Are there any other real good smartphone options? Its not looking like it...

muscleyarms83
Sep. 26th, '12, 1:20 pm
TechRadar (British site) updated their list of 20 best smartphones on the market yesterday. Galaxy S3 is still #1, HTC oOne X at #2, and the iPhone 5 surprisingly debuts at #3.

canadianwhiskey
Sep. 26th, '12, 1:27 pm
Read the Iphone 4 thread that is going.

muscleyarms83
Dec. 3rd, '12, 6:32 pm
Well, I waited for a price drop and it looks like I got something better...

I got a call from Rogers today asking about how I'm satisfied with my Torch. After I finished screaming and insulting the poor boy's mother (I am a Blackberry owner, after all), he apologized for how awful the service was and immediately offered me an upgrade to the Galaxy S3 for $39.99 with a contract renewal and all fees and shipping costs waived. This is a damn sight better than the $159.99 PLUS all the fees and shit the store people had been offering. I agreed to it and they tell me I'll have a phone in 5-7 days.

Honestly, I tend not to answer these calls because I'm wary of scammers. I would have ignored it as well but as I was on the line I researched the number that was calling me and it seemed legit... Here's hoping I didn't just donate my credit rating to China.

Edit: I called Rogers 611 to see if this was BS. It was legit. :D

Bye Bye, Blackberry. Can't wait to put a cap in your ass.

spec0688
Dec. 3rd, '12, 6:39 pm
I had a blackberry and switched about 1-2 years ago. I hated the blackberry with a passion at that point, its only good for texting fast but even then you can get used to a touch screen in a few days. I have the Galaxy Nexus now and like it, haven't had any problems so far.

SkatingPenguin
Dec. 4th, '12, 8:26 am
Just an FYI regarding plans with Rogers. Fido is offering $57 a month for unlimited calling in Canada, texting and long distance anytime. 1 Gig of data, voice mail, call forward, caller ID etc etc etc. I called Rogers last week as I was paying almost $90 a month because I have a 6GB data package due to heavy band usage. On average I usually use a little over 2 gigs per month. I spoke to retentions and they matched it no problem. All of the companies up here are matching it per forums. I still have a year left on my contract and didnt have to resign for the plan to take effect. I did pay $10 more a month for 3GB total so that I wont go over.

With my VIP bundle I'm basically paying $59 a month which is atleast $25 per month which will help contribute to my latest guitar purchase being built for me.

Ahh the benefits of working under the Fender music corp umbrella! :showoff:

canadianwhiskey
Dec. 4th, '12, 11:09 am
Loving my new Lumia 920. So glad I ditched the Iphone. The camera on this phone is amazing and Windows phone 8 is actually pretty nice. Very quick.

BleedBlueBlood
Dec. 4th, '12, 1:01 pm
Loving my new Lumia 920. So glad I ditched the Iphone. The camera on this phone is amazing and Windows phone 8 is actually pretty nice. Very quick.

As soon as I can get an upgrade hardware option with my plan (should be this spring) that's what I'm getting.

ExArmySgt
Dec. 4th, '12, 1:17 pm
As soon as I can get an upgrade hardware option with my plan (should be this spring) that's what I'm getting.

I can't get a Lumina 920 until it is offered by Verizon. AT&T got six months exclusivity. By then, the 1020 will be available. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FluKy
Dec. 4th, '12, 1:29 pm
I love blackberry and loved my bold 9780 the most, but i needed an upgrade. Using a samsung galaxy s3 and it feels slow in my opinion. I wish the phone was better, but im still on ice cream sandwich too.

canadianwhiskey
Dec. 4th, '12, 1:38 pm
I just buy my phones now. Not worth paying the massive amount the providers want so it seems like I get a deal. Huge rip off. The phone was $600 and when the new one comes out, I will sell it and buy the new one. Much easier :)

DesiredCustoms
Dec. 4th, '12, 1:59 pm
looking at the 920 or htc 8x

to compliment the new windows surface pro coming my way in the new year :)

Tony Amonte
Dec. 4th, '12, 2:13 pm
Is this Chevy Lumina phone only in Canada? No one I know has even heard of it. I've heard you guys talk good about it though. Not in the market anymore as I switched to iphone, but was more just curious.

BleedBlueBlood
Dec. 4th, '12, 2:15 pm
looking at the 920 or htc 8x

to compliment the new windows surface pro coming my way in the new year :)

Yeah, that's another reason why I'm getting the 920 (being Windows 8). I hear there's going to be some sweet integration between the windows 8 stuff (phones and tablet) and xbox ;)

I can't wait for next year and the Surface Pro too! I didn't want the Windows RT which is out now (plus the Pro is beefed up nicely). Do you know the release date for it?

BleedBlueBlood
Dec. 4th, '12, 2:16 pm
Is this Chevy Lumina phone only in Canada? No one I know has even heard of it. I've heard you guys talk good about it though. Not in the market anymore as I switched to iphone, but was more just curious.

Nope.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia920/

Tony Amonte
Dec. 4th, '12, 2:20 pm
Ahhh I see. It looks like just an AT&T thing. I just don't know anyone that has one I guess. Normally I have flocks of friends that want to tell me how good their phone is and how bad mine sucks :rofl: Looks cool enough. All these smart phones are pretty much awesome. Can't really seem to go wrong....if my droid didn't just become a giant pile toward the end of my contract, I wouldn't have even upgraded.

canadianwhiskey
Dec. 4th, '12, 2:28 pm
920 is in short supply right now too. Sold out in Europe and not enough of them in North America. The HTC I guess has some battery issues still. Pretty much the same but the 920 has the better camera.

DesiredCustoms
Dec. 4th, '12, 3:17 pm
the pro is supposed to come out end of january... they said 60 days a week or so ago.

price point is starting at 899 though ouch...

DrugMonkeyRX
Dec. 4th, '12, 3:29 pm
899? for what?

Nexus510
Dec. 4th, '12, 3:43 pm
I was going to upgrade through Verizon to the S3 but I just wanted to be done with shitty contracts all together, especially being I'll lose out on my unlimited data that I was grandfathered into.

I ordered my Nexus 4 last week and I can't wait for it get here. I'll be doing an early termination with Verizon when it does. I'm going to go through StraightTalk instead. No contract, $45/month for unlimited talk text, and data. I got a few friends using it that are pleased and i'll save about 55 bucks a month.

Nexus510
Dec. 4th, '12, 3:45 pm
the pro is supposed to come out end of january... they said 60 days a week or so ago.

price point is starting at 899 though ouch...

Yeah that pricepoint is not ideal, but being I can use it like a laptop and the smart glass? I think I'll buckle and just do it.

muscleyarms83
Dec. 4th, '12, 5:10 pm
I can't foresee any phone being as slow as the Torch 9800. Speed sucks, but more than that the overall glitchiness has set me over the edge. And since I'd decided on the Galaxy S3 before and am now getting it free with a contract renewal, I can't imagine I'm losing out.

Though I will admit those Chevy Lumina phones do look pretty slick. ;)

Today I was trying to text someone and a video that I was searching for a LONG time ago ("Hey Fat Boy" by Max-A-Million, if you must know) loaded itself onto my phone and would not let me continue my text or close the window until the song was done. If it wasn't my theme song, I'd have been a lot more pissed.

CSampson
Dec. 4th, '12, 6:34 pm
I was going to upgrade through Verizon to the S3 but I just wanted to be done with shitty contracts all together, especially being I'll lose out on my unlimited data that I was grandfathered into.

I ordered my Nexus 4 last week and I can't wait for it get here. I'll be doing an early termination with Verizon when it does. I'm going to go through StraightTalk instead. No contract, $45/month for unlimited talk text, and data. I got a few friends using it that are pleased and i'll save about 55 bucks a month.

Glad to see someone else who hates contracts like I do. The way they get you into the trap of subsidizing your phone for another 3 years on a contract is disgusting. IIRC, there will be some new laws here soon in Canada changing the rules on that. I just buy my phones and choose my carrier too. Won't give any money to Rogers or Bell.