PDA

View Full Version : EA voted Worst Company in America

Jeffrey99
Apr. 12th, '12, 12:23 pm
Found this article on the Weather.com of all places but its actually from Forbes and was a interesting read.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/va-news-articles_2011-11-30?vaid=fffb01a756bffb115a12645eb8a92eb1

The results of The Consumerist’s “Worst Company in America” bracket are in, and as I predicted, Electronic Arts managed to beat out Bank of America for the title.

EA’s “win” here is a clear reflection on just how passionately gamers hate the brand. They flooded the Consumerists polls to ensure that they earned the top spot (over such other despised brands as Comcast, AT&T and Walmart), and you have to wonder what, if anything is going on at EA HQ today.

BleedBlueBlood
Apr. 12th, '12, 12:28 pm
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

I can't tell you the number of times I've posted in the EA forums, PM'd developers, emailed and I've NEVER received a response. EA really does not give a shit about it's gamers.....that's why these exclusive sport deals with leagues has to stop. It's really the only reason why I buy EA games, I have no other choice at the moment.

SoulControlla99
Apr. 12th, '12, 12:30 pm
They do suck, I agree. Love those Online codes.

jujimum
Apr. 12th, '12, 12:32 pm
and you have to wonder what, if anything is going on at EA HQ today.

What's going on is they're sitting there laughing as they light their cigars with 100 dollar bills :rofl:

Sir Riasus
Apr. 12th, '12, 12:34 pm
I've read this elsewhere, its funny if anything. Realistically, there are far worse companies out there that do much worse in the terms of human rights, profiteering, environmental damange and theft. But, EA is the worst in gaming, without question. I don't believe these results speak for the majority, just a specific vocal minority. I think this is just a representation of who was sampled in this survey. Us gamers are also some of the most astonishingly self-entitled whiny bitches to have ever graced the planet, which makes ignoring us easy, and preferable for the sake of developers’ sanity. But at the end of the day, screw EA still, just because.

Also, EA gave a response, which in my opinion seems like a "FU, we dont care", here it is

We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide.

CSampson
Apr. 12th, '12, 12:52 pm
It is SAD that a company that makes entertainment products beats out a bank that literally ripped off millions of its own customers and Americans. The amount of housing foreclosures and destroyed families beats out a bunch of entitled and butthurt "gamers" (I am not referencing anyone in here, mainly the mass effect 3 drama people). Makes me sick.

Predatory lending>ME3 endings

Sir Riasus
Apr. 12th, '12, 12:58 pm
.that's why these exclusive sport deals with leagues has to stop. It's really the only reason why I buy EA games, I have no other choice at the moment.

It should be downright illegal to do. This isn't some sponsorship deal, TV rights or shit like that, this is giving a company a monopoly on a market in a multi-billion dollar industry. I am baffled as to why regulatory bodies haven't stopped it yet.

muscleyarms83
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:02 pm
I dunno, dude. That ME3 ending was pretty rough.

JKGuy16
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:10 pm
The Consumerist is one of my most visited websites. I'm actually appalled that Electronic Arts won this thing. Unfortunately gamers got wind of it and voted in droves.

Bank of America was the runner up in last year's tournament as well, but was bested by BP for obvious reasons.

Best Buy, Comcast and banks are typically the front runners in this annual event.

Stew514
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:12 pm
It should be downright illegal to do. This isn't some sponsorship deal, TV rights or shit like that, this is giving a company a monopoly on a market in a multi-billion dollar industry. I am baffled as to why regulatory bodies haven't stopped in yet.

I don't think the situations are all that different. Apple sold the Iphone exclusively to AT&T until this past year and I'm sure there were thousands if not millions of people that signed on with them solely for that reason. If people stopped buying Madden in droves the NFL would be less inclined to give them the exclusive, but people are content to buy the game and complain every year (I'm no different with the NHL series).

Any major corporation that sells a product is judged on how much of their product they sell, not whether the paying customers like them or not.

Tony Amonte
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:20 pm
Wait until Violent catches wind of this :rofl:

Sir Riasus
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:27 pm
I don't think the situations are all that different. Apple sold the Iphone exclusively to AT&T until this past year and I'm sure there were thousands if not millions of people that signed on with them solely for that reason. If people stopped buying Madden in droves the NFL would be less inclined to give them the exclusive, but people are content to buy the game and complain every year (I'm no different with the NHL series).

Any major corporation that sells a product is judged on how much of their product they sell, not whether the paying customers like them or not.

There is a difference in those scenerio's though. In the case of Apple Iphones, there are many competitive alternative products (while some will argue not as good, that is another debate) that can be used in the smartphone market, so the monopolistic approach argument really isn't applicable here. In the case of EA though, if you want to play an NFL game, you HAVE to buy EA as there is no alternative in the marketplace at all. I don't play football myself, but from what I've heard it keeps getting shittier each year.

muscleyarms83
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:28 pm
There is a difference in those scenerio's though. In the case of Apple Iphones, there are competitive alternative products that can be used in the smartphone market, so the monopolistic approach argument really isn't applicable here. In the case of EA though, if you want to play an NFL game, you HAVE to buy EA as there is no alternative in the marketplace at all. I don't play football myself, but from what I've heard it keeps getting shittier each year.

It doesn't help that they keep buying up other studios that used to be cool before they went all mainstream.

nosice
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:32 pm
It cracks me up that anybody would vote for EA on this.. But Im pretty sure they're still buying the games...

Not until recently had I totally regretted buying a game, NCAA FOOTBALL 2012...

Personally if people want to hurt them.. They would quit buying the games.. AND I dont think that will ever happen until they get a healthy alternative.. And its hard to get a alternative when nobody has the rights..

Seems to me.. They're a smart company... They probably know how much they're hated... But they know that they have every gamer in a corner.. It's either play EA or dont play at all..

muscleyarms83
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:37 pm
We could all give up on the stuff EA puts out and just enjoy some Japanese SuperMegaHappyFunFunTime games. Like Catherine. Remember that one?

CSampson
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:39 pm
Well I purposefully did not buy ME3. Unfortunately, the one and only EA game I do buy is NHL.

Nico 916 Suave
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:55 pm
They need to do a KONY spinoff with EA... Make them FAMOUS! :rofl:

SoulControlla99
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:56 pm
Every time I find and buy a game, I realize it's an EA game. It's ridiculous. I buy good games, not ones by specific companies but I hate what EA does with their garbage online codes, releasing broken games and buying up companies that are smaller but better than they are. Most of EA's games are recycled trash, that's why I get Madden only every few years, never buy NCAA and I'll probably actively try to stop buying middle of the road EA games entirely, just for spite. EA reminds me a lot of the movie industry. No imagination, just rereleasing the same garbage over and over again, milking sequels until they become unprofitable instead of when they become uninteresting. It's really sad but it's driven by the bottom line. They'll release utter trash if they think they can make a few thousand dollars profit on it.

Stew514
Apr. 12th, '12, 1:58 pm
There is a difference in those scenerio's though. In the case of Apple Iphones, there are many competitive alternative products (while some will argue not as good, that is another debate) that can be used in the smartphone market, so the monopolistic approach argument really isn't applicable here. In the case of EA though, if you want to play an NFL game, you HAVE to buy EA as there is no alternative in the marketplace at all. I don't play football myself, but from what I've heard it keeps getting shittier each year.

There are other phones just like there are other video games.

Nico 916 Suave
Apr. 12th, '12, 2:07 pm
I only truly play NHL every year.. Last year was the only year I really bought anything else (Skyrim) and besides the stray (Madden) I'll pickup whenever I'm bored... But I agree EA is exactly like shitty movie sequels... But its a vicious cycle... We all buy because of what we enjoy, (Hockey) for the most part, and other sports games... There is no market for them other than EA because they've bought everyone out, or the simple fact they've bought out the licensing... It's not fair but I don't blame them for doing basically nothing year after year and remaining rich as hell.. Lots of people would like to be able to do that haha... I can't stand EA at all, but unless the licensing buyout is released for sports games we simply won't get many options, and we'll continue to receive that roster update each and every year as the "new" game... At least their NHL brand "tried" to change something with the physics etc. and not just the typical Madden roster updates, and new camera angles. :rofl:

Sir Riasus
Apr. 12th, '12, 2:17 pm
There are other phones just like there are other video games.

Not the same, but I see where you are coming from. If someone wants to play a football game as their favorite player, Teabow for example, there is only one outlet they can do that, EA sports. If you have that gaming thirst, its not like picking up Biozone or Star Wars or Pokeman for that matter is going to quench that thirst. I can definitely see the grey area as someone can say "just play another game" but we all know its not that simple. In my case, if NHL didn't exist, I probably wouldn't own an xbox. Unfortunately, the people making/enforcing these laws, know little about this industry and probably won't for some time.

Clarke Kid
Apr. 12th, '12, 2:31 pm
EA sports reminds me of Harold Ballard

bones56
Apr. 12th, '12, 2:32 pm
Not surprising at all!!b

Stew514
Apr. 12th, '12, 2:32 pm
Not the same, but I see where you are coming from. If someone wants to play a football game as their favorite player, Teabow for example, there is only one outlet they can do that, EA sports. If you have that gaming thirst, its not like picking up Biozone or Star Wars or Pokeman for that matter is going to quench that thirst. I can definitely see the grey area as someone can say "just play another game" but we all know its not that simple. In my case, if NHL didn't exist, I probably wouldn't own an xbox. Unfortunately, the people making/enforcing these laws, know little about this industry and probably won't for some time.

First off it's Tebow. The removal of choice obviously gives them a stranglehold on the market, but competition is bad for business. Deals like this (referring to video games at least) are possible because the league and studio can both make more money with that solution. EA didn't need exclusive rights for NHL because the 2k games fell so far behind that they aren't a competitor anymore, much like 2K is kicking the shit out of EA when it comes to basketball.

Sure they are removing an option by monopolizing the market, it's what any smart business would do. The consumer is the one who suffers, but they aren't powerless. You want changes, boycott the product.

SoulControlla99
Apr. 12th, '12, 2:44 pm
EA can't ignore this because they must know that people will be looking to jump ship at the first opportunity they get. That's not good business practice to set yourself up for a hard fall like that. People are looking for a way out of buying EA games so if someone comes along with a decent alternative, EA's profits are going to take a huge hit. They can't afford to be naive about that.

Sir Riasus
Apr. 12th, '12, 2:45 pm
First off it's Tebow.

What part of "I don't like football" did your brain not grasp?

The removal of choice obviously gives them a stranglehold on the market, but competition is bad for business.

I'm not sure what regulatory bodies you have in the states, but in Canada, we have a competition bureau for shit like this. No business should be permitted to operate in a monopoly, but EA seems to be getting a pass. Most likely because of this "play another game" grey area.

Deals like this (referring to video games at least) are possible because the league and studio can both make more money with that solution.

I don't understand how the NFL couldn't make more money by having competing companies bidding for their rights.... But I have no details on their contract either.

Stew514
Apr. 12th, '12, 3:12 pm
I don't understand how the NFL couldn't make more money by having competing companies bidding for their rights.... But I have no details on their contract either.

So then why would the NFL agree to only license their product to EA?

Sir Riasus
Apr. 12th, '12, 3:13 pm
So then why would the NFL agree to only license their product to EA?

Don't know, thats why I find it so confusing. It really was just a question.

pixel_archived
Apr. 12th, '12, 3:19 pm
Having the NFL video game produced by only one company doesn't make it a monopoly. That is like saying Coke can't sell their product to McDonalds only because that would be a monopoly. The NFL brand is owned by the NFL and they can do whatever the hell they want to do with it include not making any video games.

You can blame EA all you want for that but it is misdirected anger. Blame the NFL for refusing to allow other companies to use their brand and instead focus on a business model that makes more money by making it an exclusive licensing structure.

Jeffrey99
Apr. 12th, '12, 3:26 pm
You can blame EA all you want for that but it is misdirected anger. Blame the NFL for refusing to allow other companies to use their brand and instead focus on a business model that makes more money by making it an exclusive licensing structure.
Agree 100%, when it comes to the NFL and the MLB that's all on the leagues that would rather take more money for a exclusive license then to allow every company to make a game featuring their league.

As for EA buying out other companies and releasing same crap every year, I think is a valid argument. Prime example is MLB The Show. That's the one sports game that I actually feel is worth $60 every year. They actually listen and communicate with fans and actually update the game each year.