PDA

View Full Version : 2K NHL Benched For the Year

darktrc
May. 25th, '11, 11:43 am
For those that are fans of the 2K series, it appears NHL12 will be the only hockey game on the market this year, much like 2K12 will be the only basketball game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6315332/2k-sports-benches-nhl-sim-for-2011?tag=updates%3Blatest%3Bnews%3Btitle%3B2

silentmiller
May. 25th, '11, 11:51 am
They didn't do one last year either. Not that I have bought a 2K game I think ever.

canadianwhiskey
May. 25th, '11, 11:58 am
2k had a hockey game? what? I would totally play that over EA.:wacko:

silentmiller
May. 25th, '11, 12:09 pm
Actually I did buy the iPad version, played it a couple of times and deleted it.

BTW8892
May. 25th, '11, 12:25 pm
They didn't do one last year either. Not that I have bought a 2K game I think ever.

They did have 2k11 last year, but it was a Wii exclusive. Not really sure they'd be able to keep up with the new physics based EA engine :thumbup:

Phoenix 2.0
May. 25th, '11, 12:55 pm
Competition is a good thing.

The sad thing is EA Sports and the NHL series hasn't had any competition for awhile, the crazy thing is that they still manage to make the game better (IMO)

speaking of NHL 2K being on the Wii only for last season, I just picked up EA Sports NHL Slapshot last night for the Wii for $20! my wife pointed out the 2K version for the same price and my 5 year old Son reminded her that "Daddy went to EA Sports for NHL not 2K land"

BTW8892
May. 25th, '11, 12:59 pm
Competition is a good thing.

The sad thing is EA Sports and the NHL series hasn't had any competition for awhile, the crazy thing is that they still manage to make the game better (IMO)

speaking of NHL 2K being on the Wii only for last season, I just picked up EA Sports NHL Slapshot last night for the Wii for $20! my wife pointed out the 2K version for the same price and my 5 year old Son reminded her that "Daddy went to EA Sports for NHL not 2K land"

$20 with the stick included? If so that's AWESOME, I've been wanting to get that game since it came out.

Phoenix 2.0
May. 25th, '11, 1:17 pm
the funny thing was the game was $19 and an extra stick was $14!! My Son is leading the series so far 2-0 lol

muscleyarms83
May. 25th, '11, 2:15 pm
When the 2K series started on Dreamcast, it was the better hockey sim. I would worry that no competition will mean no serious improvement in the EA game other than roster updates. Doesn't look that way so far.

OldTimeHockey
May. 25th, '11, 2:25 pm
I don't think the NHL series will ever become complacent as long as this development team sticks together. They are as much fans of the sport as those buying their games.

Phoenix 2.0
May. 25th, '11, 2:50 pm
I don't think the NHL series will ever become complacent as long as this development team sticks together. They are as much fans of the sport as those buying their games.

you have no idea how true this is my friend, very tight group and very open to any and all suggestions (big or small)

IIx Omark xII
May. 25th, '11, 3:32 pm
These games were fun to play offline.... But they were no where near the level of EA in realistic aspects.
There online was absolutly terrible as well (actually 2k online is brutal ether way)

JKGuy16
May. 25th, '11, 5:48 pm
I still remember playing NHL 2k3, the first online sports game on xbox, non-stop with a friend of mine for months.

It really redefined hockey and what it should be. It also showed what a pile of crap EA Sports' version of NHL really was. In fact, EA's game was garbage for years until NHL 07 showed up.

It's funny that NHL 07's completely revamped game with *gasp* no need to use the face buttons would revolutionize hockey gaming, yet 2k7 was the first game in a downward spiral of terribleness.

I really wish SCEA would get into the hockey business and make something comparable to what MLB: The Show does for baseball.

Jepockn
May. 25th, '11, 7:30 pm
very disapointed in 2k for not releasing a hockey game for the consoles..

BleedBlueBlood
May. 30th, '11, 1:05 pm
The great news about all of this, I just found out that the 2k MLB license is up after next year, and is NOT being renewed.

Does this open the door for The Show to be a 360 title soon? I sure hope so....

Phoenix 2.0
May. 30th, '11, 1:09 pm
The great news about all of this, I just found out that the 2k MLB license is up after next year, and is NOT being renewed.

Does this open the door for The Show to be a 360 title soon? I sure hope so....

keep in mind that it is 2K that has decided not to renew, there will be an EA Sports offering and hopefully we can all go back to having fun on the 360. I know some guys on this site that will be returning their PS3 when it is announced!! kind of brutal when you have to have your 360 running so you can chat on PSN without worrying about lag issues.

2K can't afford exclusives at all and that is a good thing, competition is good.